CAMPAIGNERS who have battled to secure a footpath through the privately owned site of a multimillion-pound beachside development at Carlyon Bay have sent out a rally call.
Back in March last year Cornwall Council made an order to extend the route, which stopped in the car park of the former Coliseum to the tideline on the nearby beach.
The footpath was due to be added to the official (definitive) rights of way map but the decision sparked objection by Commercial Estates Group (CEG), who are behind the £250 million scheme, prompting a public inquiry.
As the date for the public inquiry –June 10 at 10am at the One Stop Shop St Austell at Penwinnick Road – draws closer locals are calling for other people to support the need for the retention of the extension to the footpath.
CEG have said the order would make it "physically incompatible" with sea defences granted planning permission in December 2011. With no defences the scheme, which spans Crinnis and stretches to adjoining Shorthorn and Polgaver beaches, would be unprotected.
The firm has said it had hoped the path could be re-routed. However, locals who have been fighting for the past decade for proper public access through the beach scheme say they are hopeful the public inquiry will validate their efforts and Cornwall Council's decision.
Gloria Price, of Appletree Lane, who is co-applicant for the footpath order, said: "I am delighted that the remainder of the right of way to Crinnis Beach is to be heard on June 10. This thoroughly scrutinised application was started in January 2003, and has inched its way down the hill towards the mean high water mark and the sea.
"I would like to thank all involved and in particular the Open Space Society."
The retired schoolteacher is urging anyone who wishes to protect the right of way to attend the inquiry.
They can request to the inspector that they would like to give evidence why the section of footpath should be retained, she said.