Login Register
 °

Mum Rosa Blackler hits out after cupboard falls on family in council house

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 20, 2014

  • The screws that held the cupboards onto the wall

  • Where the cupboard was on the wall before it fell down

Comments (7)

A MILLBROOK mother said she is scared for her children's safety after a cupboard fell on their heads in their council-owned home.

Rosa Blackler, a mother of three, has lived in the social housing property – managed by Cornwall Council – with her husband, Dale Blackler and their children since June last year.

The cupboard on the kitchen wall fell onto her three-year-old son, ten-year-old daughter and husband on December 30, leaving them requiring medical treatment.

Mrs Blackler said: "My children could have been killed and if the one cupboard was put up incompetently then I dare say the other one is [too]. I am so scared that something else may happen now.

"My daughter is too scared to go into the kitchen and my son has had nightmares and called out in his sleep about the cupboard falling. I am seeking legal advice because as far as I can see the council has not only been negligent with our family's safety, it is continuing to be.

"I am absolutely disgusted at Cornwall Council and how we are being treated."

After the cupboard fell down in the Insworke Place property, Mrs Blackler's daughter was rushed to the doctors with a lump on the back of her head and bruising on her leg.

Her three-year-old son cut his finger and shoulder during the incident and her husband has been told to get his hand X-rayed.

The kitchen cupboard was held up by four 2cm screws in the top two corners onto plasterboard.

Plug sockets were also placed above the cooker, which meant that any steam generated from cooking went into the sockets, making them drip with water.

After the cupboard fell down, the council sent an electrician to the property who attended that evening to ensure the electrical socket was safe.

Mrs Blackler said she had told the council about the faults in the house shortly after moving into the property but had been told that it could not sort the problem out for another ten years, when they would be due for an upgrade.

According to Mrs Blackler, the previous tenant had also complained to the council.

Cornwall Housing's area technical officer visited the property on January 6 and agreed that the council would replace the kitchen and repair the faults but Mrs Blackler has not been told when this work will be carried out.

A council spokesman said: "Since the incident the tenant has told us about other issues with the property, some of which have now been addressed, with others due to be inspected over the coming days and dealt with as routine repairs.

"There are no records of complaints about these issues from the previous tenants.

"Cornwall Housing is committed to dealing with reported issues as promptly as possible once they have been reported in line with their repairs policy which has been agreed by tenants."

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

7 comments

  • JeremyBadger  |  January 21 2014, 9:48PM

    "I am seeking legal advice " Here we go again, another moaner who just wants to make a claim for compensation. One overloaded cupboard and three people injured who are they kidding?

    |   2
  • jellyboom  |  January 20 2014, 3:31PM

    What kind of people would read about a child being injured and then proceed to put such derogatory comments about their family.

    |   -2
  • beaujester  |  January 20 2014, 10:23AM

    Bit of a non-story really. Why would go to the papers over something like this. The council have an official complaints procedure why doesn't she use it?

    |   10
  • DipStick  |  January 20 2014, 10:14AM

    Seems they've had a raw deal with the state of the property, though we don't know how much "stuff" was loaded into the cupboard. But Cornwall Housing are a bunch of cowboys when it comes to maintenance. My father recently moved into a new flat (new to him that is) and it had a hot water tank in the airing cupboard. Now airing cupboards have slatted shelves in them so you can "air" towels and clothes but they're are not there to support anything heavier. However, in this one the hot water tank (which was about 4' high) was actually placed on one. Strangely the shelf was bowing under the weight and could have collapsed at any time. After I "hassled" the council they actually fixed it. But the tank still has almost no insulation on it and no timer. But hey, the councils underwriting solar parks and windmills, sorry "turbines", so that doesn't matter ....... As for getting his bathroom changed from a bath to a shower, that only took 7 months, even though they knew BEFORE he moved in that it would need to be done. I think in all that time I talked to one person that was actually helpful, rather than obstructive and covering their own back. 'Root and branch' reform needed! DS

    |   -9
  • josdave  |  January 20 2014, 10:05AM

    The ambulance chasers will be queueing up to get this claim in.

    |   4
  • Truro_England  |  January 20 2014, 7:56AM

    I'm sure they see the TV ads, reminding people what to do in such situations and which injury lawyers to call.

    |   3
  • kernow19  |  January 20 2014, 7:28AM

    I imagine they will be expecting a decent bit of compensation after their traumatic experience. First people to call when there's an accident in your council-owned property: 1) Doctor/Ambulance 2) Solicitor. 3) Newspaper. (but not necessarily in that order.)

    |   3

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES