Login Register

Duchy Football League review, October 12

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: October 12, 2012

ST BREWARD: who play Duchy League division two and won their second game of the season on Saturday, 2-0 against Queens Rangers. Back row, from left: Mervy Emment (manager), Dan Mountain, Paul Dowse, Martin Jago, Ben Nurse, Dan Hoskins, Dan Couch and Matt Couch. Front row: Karl Croft (captain), Wayne Davey, Mario Spillane, Dan Walsh, Luke Richards, Luke Richards, Kelvyn Tootal and Ben Jarrett. At the front are Reece Davey, Alfie Croft and Benjamin Jarratt. by David Flower.

Comments (0)

Premier Division


AFC St Austell stay top of the Premier Division after defeating St Cleer 4-0.

The first half was even and goalless with St Cleer contributing to the quality of the football. Phil Hutchings was left with an open goal to roll the ball into the net from the edge of the area for the opener.

He then added a second with a 30-yard free kick. St Cleer refused to lie down and came back in the match, but conceded a third when Mike Body was put through.

The home side's fourth came when the visiting keeper fumbled a corner into his own net.

St Columb Major edged the match with Probus 2-1. The first half was evenly fought but goalless.

Dom Roberts broke the deadlock four minutes into the second half with a good finish, but Probus restored parity within two minutes when Ben Keevil met a corner with a good header.

St Columb got on top after this setback and capitalised on a defensive error in the 71st minute with Aaron Hawken restoring their lead. Scott Wheadon also went close near the end, hitting a post.

Torpoint Athletic had the use of The Mill for their home game with St Mawgan and won 2-1 with Graham O'Neill scoring a late winner.

They scored an early goal through Lewis Pacey, but were pegged back with a Darren Roose. There was little to choose between the sides when O'Neill swooped to claim the points.

Two winless and troubled sides at the bottom of the division met with St Newlyn East overcoming Calstock 8-3.

The visitors, who were unable to raise a side last week, made seven signings before the game, but were sunk by Liam Dent rediscovering his shooting boots as he netted four times.

Russell Withers added a brace with Chris Ballett and Ryan Polmounter getting a goal apiece. Calstock replied through James Charlton and one of the debutants, Lawrence New, was also on target.

Division One


Grampound played poorly in the first half as they lost their home Division One match against Biscovey 3-2.

The hosts were not in the contest before the break, but did take a surprising tenth minute lead when Peter Thomas got on the end of a Shane Weeks flick-on.

Biscovey deservedly equalised through an own goal when a shot ricocheted off Tim Peers into the net and went ahead five minutes later when after a free kick the home defence failed to close down James Cutlan who fired into the top corner.

Biscovey added a third when the home keeper punched a cross into his own net. Grampound were better after the break although they failed to threaten the opposition a great deal. They did have two efforts disallowed for offside before Thomas scored his second a couple of minutes from time to set up a frantic conclusion.

A first win of the season for Maker with Rame after four successive defeats as they won 7-3 at St Dennis.

It was a stronger Maker side for this game as they sought to turn over their awful start to the season. Ben Wilkes scored a brace with Richard Washburn, Luke Jones, Zack Rosen, Mike Anastassion and Tai Lau completing their tally.

Paul Rowe scored a brace with Stuart Bell claiming the other home goal.

Gunnislake switched their game to Pensilva after their home pitch was waterlogged and would have regretted the switch after a 9-2 trouncing.

Ryan James actually gave Gunnislake a 21st minute lead from a well-taken free kick. This woke the home side from their slumbers with Sam Rogers scoring a hat-trick in seven minutes.

Martin Putt chipped the keeper for the fourth with Rogers getting his fourth six minutes before the break.

Pensilva made a slow start to the second half with Gunnislake firing right back at them. Darren Benfield headed in a corner ten minutes after the restart, but this only inspired the home side to respond with Jack Podmore firing a quick brace.

Jon Filbey came off the bench to dribble in the hosts' eighth before superb work between Rogers and Podmore led to the latter completing his own hat-trick.

Leaders Polperro stay on top after Andy Cordner hit a brace in a 4-0 home defeat of St Dominick. Colin Wilson and Lee Collins added further goals.

Division Two


Two of the top teams in Division Two met at North Petherwin where the home side put in a terrific second half performance to beat Foxhole 7-1.

There was no sign of a walkover in the opening half as Foxhole took the lead with a good team move converted by Tom Hicks.

Petherwin managed to level before the break but it was an evenly fought game.

Two goals early in the second half changed the complexion of the match and the home side scored with virtually everything they created.

Callum Reeve scored a hat-trick, which came as a bit of surprise to the home supporters as he had only scored four goals all last season.

Andi Sleeman came on as a substitute and also scored a hat-trick within 15 minutes with Andy Faulkner converting a late penalty to complete the rout.

Padstow United featured in another high scoring game at Jury Park as the home side scored eight against a very spirited Lanreath side.

There was nothing to choose between to the sides in the opening 20 minutes as the hosts made a slow start.

However, this all changed in the 25th minute when Kyle Tippett opened the scoring following some good work down the right wing from young Richie McOwen.

A second soon followed when Johnny Murt beat a couple of defenders before slotting the ball into the far corner of the net giving the young Lanreath keeper no chance.

Padstow really started to dominate possession and a third followed on 38 minutes when left back Danny Jobson starting the moved down the left continued his run into the area and as the ball arrived at his feet he hit an unstoppable drive into the roof of the net.

There was now a danger of another glut of goals for the home side but Lanreath defended really well and thanks to some fine saves from their young keeper kept the score at three.

However, it was only a matter of time before Padstow increased their lead and two more quick goals just before the break wrapped the game up for Padstow thanks to another from Johnny Murt and Sean Blows.

Padstow made changes at half-time, bringing on Dave Trestain and Russell McOwen, and they were soon in the thick of the action.

After a good run down the left Russell played the ball into the path of Murt but the keeper only parried his shot and Harry Calvesbert was on hand to scramble the ball home.

Man of the match Richie McOwen hit a tremendous free kick but the defensive wall did its job and the player it hit would have known about it.

Not long after Murt completed his hat-trick and Jake Charles scored his first of the season finishing well from 12 yards. There could have been far more for Padstow but some desperate defending denied them.

St Breward beat Queens Rangers 2-0 with two late goals in an even contest of two battling sides.

Mike Cherrill opened the scoring with a goal on his debut in the 75h minute and the win was confirmed when Richard Brown, in his first match of the season, scored five minutes from time.

James Hutchings was a visiting hat-trick scorer as Lostwithiel romped to a 4-1 win at Gerrans and St Mawes United.

Dan Carr scored his first of the season to complete the away scoring with Chris Thomas hitting the home consolation.

Division Three


Holywell Bay/Cubert Athletic closed the gap on the leading pack in Division Three by defeating Stoke Climsland 2-1.

Peter Bruce gave the home side the lead in a tight match with Rob Cleveland grabbing an equaliser.

There was only 15 minutes left when Simon Holmes hit a cracking goal to give the hosts the spoils.

Division Four


North Hill maintained leadership of Division Four with Kieran Ryder scoring the only goal of their top of the table clash with previously unbeaten Torpoint Comrades.

Richie James scored four goals and Paddy Collins and Dan Brady added a brace apiece as Mevagissey reserves completed a comprehensive 10-2 victory at St Teath.

The remaining away goals came from Eli O'Brien and an own goal with Dan Edwards and Jonny Strout replying for the beleaguered hosts.

St Cleer reserves beat Grampound reserves 2-0 with Simeon Webb and Jack Mote on target.

Jack Bray-Smith scored all three goals as Gorran defeated Gunnislake reserves 3-2.

Gorran started where they finished last week by getting the ball down and passing it around well, and before long Bray Smith helped to put the home team ahead by scoring yet another brace.

However, Gunnislake did manage to peg Gorran back straight after conceding the second goal, when a lapse in concentration from the home team allowed the visitors to score straight from the kick-off.

The only other chance of the half fell to Glen Littlejohns who came in off the left wing and beat the keeper to the ball, but in doing so he was pushed wide and his shot was blocked by a defender which went out for a corner.

Second half saw man of the match Bray Smith finally get that illusive hat-trick when his shot from the right took a slight deflection but did not stop it from nestling into the bottom left hand corner.

The visitors did manage to pull a second goal back with a long shot that dipped in just under the bar, which brought about a nervy last quarter.

The game opened up a lot and there were chances at either end. Jack Burr saw his header cleared off the line by a defender on the far post and just before the final whistle the visitors had a free kick which was allowed to bounce in the six yard box before going out for a goal kick.

Division Five


Kevin Allen scored a last minute equaliser to give St Merryn a 2-2 home draw in Division Five against Southgate Seniors.

Ashley Rescorla had given the hosts the lead, but two quickfire goals from Tom Wyman and Nathan Farrer turned the fortunes around.

St Merryn have been a little disappointing so far this term, so Allen's last gasp leveller could turn their season around.

Duke of Cornwall were 4-0 down at one stage at St Minver reserves, fought back, but still were on the end of a 5-4 loss. Ben Cleave scored a brace for St Minver with Mike Green, Matt Webster and Shaun Cunningham getting a goal apiece. Dean Dingle sparked the fightback with another hat-trick with Mark Nagle also finding the target.

Pelynt reserves and North Petherwin reserves fought out a 2-2 draw. Alex Rice scored both home goals with Sam Stockdale and Paul Penny replying.

St Columb Major reserves are the new leaders after a 4-2 success at Tregrehan Mills.

Luke Weldhen scored a brace with Luke Worrall among the other scorers. Tregrehan replied with goals from Dean Seville and Helder Barros.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters