Login Register

Cornwall golf round-up February 19

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 19, 2014

WINNERS: the Trevose team who beat Truro at Perranporth on Sunday to go through to the Cornwall Team Championship final.

Comments (0)

TREVOSE sparkled in the afternoon sunshine as they booked their place in the final of the Cornwall Team Championship with an emphatic 8¼-4½ victory over underdogs Truro at Perranporth on Sunday.

They will now be looking to record their 13th success in the county's premier winter team competition when they return to Perranporth to face Tehidy Park, who defeated West Cornwall 7¾-5 at Newquay, in the final on Sunday, March 16.

The combinations of Ben Westgate and Phil White and Mike Reynard and Richard Ackland got Trevose off to a flying start in the morning foursomes with wins over Dave Kneebone and Jake Finn (6&5) and George Champion and Jared Mortimore (3&2) respectively. But Truro hit back to level the scores as Matt Gunn and Marc Bicknell and Jack Mewton and Paul Suddes defeated Nick Gammon and Jon Tremain (5&4) and Mark Pawley and Steve Davies (1 up).

But Gary Hawking's 2&1 win over Spike Drew in the ninth man match gave Trevose a vital three-quarters of a point edge at lunch.

The afternoon singles proved to be a one-sided affair, with Westgate and White both recording 5&3 wins over Finn and Champion and Reynard defeating Bicknell 3&2 before Mortimore kept the city side in the hunt with a one hole win over Tremain.

Although Gunn then halved with Gammon, there was no way back for Truro as Pawley and Davies both registered 6&5 wins over Kneebone and Suddes respectively, before Mewton gave his side a late consolation with a 2&1 win over Ackland.

At Newquay, Tehidy Park, themselves 10 times former winners of the competition, had just the better of the expected battle royal against arch rivals and last year's beaten finalists West Cornwall.

They opened up a 3-1 advantage at lunch with foursomes wins by Robert MacGregor and Ross Lawrence over Alex Glasson and Matt Richards (3&1), Ian Veale and Thomas Rowe over Jon Coleman and Harry Hall (3&2) and the Simmons brothers Richard and Peter over Peter Darlington and Phil Weaver (2&1) before Luke Stevens and Dean Tulley pulled one back for West Cornwall with a 4&3 win over Andrew Clotworthy and Colin George.

Tehidy also had the insurance of Chris Hoyle's one hole win over Jon Clatworthy in the ninth man match and when MacGregor beat Tulley 3&2 in the top singles they seemed to be on course for a comfortable victory.

But their opponents fought back in spectacular style to take the lead 5-4 as they reeled off the next four matches. Hall birdied the last two holes to defeat Lawrance (1 up), Richards beat George 6&5, Coleman overcame Richard Simmons 2&1 and Weaver edged home by one hole against Clotworthy.

With the match now in the balance, it was Tehidy stalwarts Veale and Peter Simmons who guided their side to victory. Veale, playing in his 30th year of the CTC competition, triumphed 2&1 in a closely fought match against Glasson before Simmons sealed overall victory for his side with a win over Walker by the same 2&1 scoreline.

Rowe defeated Darlington 5&4 in the final match to put the icing on Tehidy's cake. The club will now be hoping to make it a double when they contest the final of the Frank Wills Salver against Newquay at West Cornwall on Sunday, March 2.

Merlin will make their first ever appearance in a county final after they overcame Falmouth 5-4 in a thrilling President's Trophy semi-final at Carlyon Bay on Sunday.

They got off to the perfect start with Rob Hall and Ben Crossley winning the top two matches against Paul Evans (2&1) and Scott Pedlar (3&2) respectively. But Falmouth hit back to win the next two singles, George Popperwell defeating Nigel Pryor 5&4 and Crispen Merritt beating Adrian Steele 3&2.

The next match between Ricky Hughes (Merlin) and Ben Browning was halved before Dave Osgood edged Merlin back into the lead with a 3&2 win over Neil Dickinson. But this was cancelled out by James Scott's one hole defeat by Tristan Gurd.

With match score level, the final two games were to prove decisive. Merlin's Cary Clark and Carl Burley had both been three down at the turn, but they fought back brilliantly to clinch their side's place in the final.

At the 17th Clark took a one hole lead over Nick Chinn courtesy of the shot of the day, a low draw under the trees, for an unlikely par. He also won the last for good measure to secure his side's place in the final as Burley, in the last match, was already certain of a half as he stood one up on the 18th tee against Paul Collins.

In the final at Perranporth on March 16, Merlin will face holders Bowood Park, who romped to an 8-1 victory over China Fleet in the other semi-final at St Enodoc.

Bowood's wins came from Lee Bowers (5&3), Len Flower (3&2), Mike Barrett (2&1), Rob Pedlar (1 up), Nigel Connolly (2&1), Ryan Bowers (1 up), Rob Cook (3&2) and Josh Greenaway (1up).

Tom Francis' 5&3 defeat was the only blot on an otherwise perfect scoreline for the holders, who will also be hoping to clinch a double when their CAW Cornwall Bowl team take on Trethorne in the final at West Cornwall on Sunday, March 2.

The experienced St Enodoc pairing of John Pease and Kevin Brenton will be aiming to end the reign of holders Alastair and Sam Chivers when they meet in the 36-hole final of this year's Perranporth Open Winter Foursomes on Sunday.

In the semi-finals Pease and Brentin saw off the last professional in the field Paul Turpin and his amateur clubmate Dave Saget by a comfortable 4&2 margin.

Meanwhile, the father and son holders from the host club kept on track to retain their title with a 3&2 win over another Perranporth father and son duo, Dick and Simon Perkins.

In the final of the Plate competition, also over 36 holes, Martin Edwards and Sandy Kirton will be hoping to make it a Perranporth double when they take on former winners of the Main competition, Falmouth pro Nick Rogers and China Fleet amateur Colin Kitt.

The recent adverse weather has caused Cornwall Under-14s' opening match of the season, a triangular friendly fixture against Devon and Surrey due to have been played at St Mellion yesterday, to be cancelled.

But, weather permitting, Cornwall Under-18s will play their first match of the season against their counterparts from Devon in a friendly fixture at Thurlestone this Friday.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters