Login Register

Coombes on fire as Blazey take over at top of table

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: October 05, 2012

  • ABOVE: Lewis Edwards' cross goes in off of Tavistock defender Matt David to put St Blazey 2-0 up before half-time. by Tom Last.

Comments (0)

St Blazey 4, Tavistock 0

LEWIS Coombes fired St Blazey to the top of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League on Wednesday night with two goals in an emphatic victory over Tavistock at Blaise Park.

For Coombes, who has formed such a lethal partnership up front with Seb Broomfield this season, these were his eighth and ninth goals of the season after only 11 games.

The Green & Blacks were already 2-0 ahead by the times Coombes struck, courtesy of a Ryan Yeoman opener midway through the first half and an own goal from Matt David.

Tavistock, who won six of their opening seven league games, are in freefall and this was their fourth defeat in five games.

They looked very much second best against a Blazey side brimming with confidence and full of ideas and goals, with Coombes and Broomfield always a threat.

Even without George Swain, who has been producing starring performances in Blazey's midfield so far this season, Bobby Oaten's side had too much for Tavvy.

St Blazey: Painter, King, Yeoman, Sleeman, Chitty, Evans, Edwards, West, Coombes, Broomfield, Sims. Subs: Hoyles, Daw.

Next for St Blazey is a trip tomorrow to Camelford, who themselves enjoyed a midweek victory. They were surprise 4-2 winners at in-form Saltash United on Tuesday night, with goals from Ryan Pooley (2), Dan Balsdon and Kevin Murt.

They were 2-0 up by half-time and even though Lewis Russell reduced the arrears after 50 minutes, Murt restored the their two-goal cushion 14 minutes from time.

A Ross Saint penalty in the 81st minute could have set up a tense finale but Pooley was on hand to seal victory for the Camels three minutes from time.

But the result which gave Blazey the opportunity to take over at the top came at Pennygillam on Tuesday when leaders Launceston were torn apart 7-1 by champions Bodmin Town.

Bodmin, who were poor in Friday's 1-1 draw with Saltash, came out with all guns blazing and new signing Glynn Hobbs gave them the lead after only 35 seconds.

He added a second in the 16th minute and further goals came in the second half for Chris Luxton (penalty), Sam Matthews, Steve Colwell, Lee Doel and Adam Carter.

Liskeard Athletic earned a fine point at Falmouth, twice leading before having to settle for a 2-2 draw.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters