Login Register

Children's plea to help keep pets safe

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: August 14, 2013

  • HEALTHY: Iona with Stardust before she was taken ill.

  • LETTER: Raffay Rowland with the letter he has written to the Prime Minister.

  • SAD: Iona and Raffay with a book of photos of their cat.

Comments (2)

A SEVEN-year-old Bude boy and his five-year-old sister have written to the Prime Minister and others calling for action on anti-freeze following the death of their pet cat.

Stardust, the much-loved pet of the Rowland family, died a painful death aged 2 after, vets believe, it drank antifreeze.

Raffay Rowland has written a letter to David Cameron and his younger sister Iona has drawn a picture of Stardust to push home the message that a bitter taste should be added to antifreeze so that pets are not tempted to drink it.

They have distributed copies of the letter and picture to others, including the Cornish Guardian, in the hope that other pets can be saved.

Stardust became unwell suddenly and the family took her to Penbode Vets at Bude where they decided to treat it aggressively by flushing the system.

Sadly that failed and three days later she had to be put down.

"The vet implied this was classic antifreeze poisoning. We will never know for sure, but we do know that cats do not eat things that taste wrong," said mum Yasmin Rowland. "Unfortunately antifreeze tastes sweet, which is tempting to kids and animals. A cat only needs a teaspoon – a dog two tablespoons – to be fatal.

"We will never know where she got the poison. It had been cold the week before so whether there was a spilled pool of antifreeze, I don't know."

Both Raffay and Iona are upset at losing a loved pet.

Raffay says in his letter to Mr Cameron: "We want a flavour put in the antifreeze which tastes bitter.

"This would mean pets would not die of antifreeze poisoning. This would be a very simple thing to change."

He told the Cornish Guardian: "Quite a few of my friends have lost pets and we know two died from drinking antifreeze.

"We miss Stardust a lot, and we want the Government to stop it happening to other pets."

One thing has happened by chance to provide the two children with a new pet.

The owner of Stardust's mother, Peepo, is emigrating to New Zealand so they now have a new cat to look after.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

2 comments

  • natura  |  August 14 2013, 2:44PM

    Very sad. Many people aren't aware that the pollen from lilies can also poison and blind or even kill cats, so that's definitely something to be watched out for as well.

    |   4
  • emurfitt  |  August 14 2013, 11:24AM

    Such a simple and sensible thing to ask the Government. One wonders why the Government and manufacturers didn't do this in the first place - when the stuff was first put on the market. Unfortunately, if it offers no opportunity for the super-rich to make a vast profit, this Government will do absolutely nothing. As this is only about compassion and commonsense, and not profit, our cats and dogs and children must go on dying.

    |   7

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES