Login Register

Bodmin firefighter received national award after carbon monoxide campaign

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: June 05, 2013

SAFETY FIRST:  Chief fire officer Des Tidbury, left, and Bodmin firefighter Mark Pratten with his award.

SAFETY FIRST: Chief fire officer Des Tidbury, left, and Bodmin firefighter Mark Pratten with his award.

Comments (0)

A BODMIN firefighter has been recognised for his outstanding work in raising awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Crew manager Mark Pratten was presented with the Beyond the Call of Duty Award during a ceremony at Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service's (CFRS) headquarters in Truro.

The awards, by Lion Apparel, which manufactures protective clothing, and FIRE Magazine, recognises members of the UK fire service who have gone the extra mile.

As a member of CFRS's community safety team, Mr Pratten has been the driving force behind the service's CO safety work.

As a result of his campaign to encourage caravan and campsite owners to sign up to a 'CO Aware register', more than 180 sites have committed to providing safety information for people holidaying in Cornwall.

The scheme has been adopted by many fire and rescue services throughout the country and Mr Pratten is now working with the leisure industry at a national level to promote CO awareness in all holiday accommodation.

The all-party parliamentary carbon monoxide group and CO Awareness charity have also recognised his work.

Mr Pratten said: "I am honoured to receive this prestigious award.

"Raising awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning is so important. My hope for the future is that we can help to reduce or even eliminate CO-related injuries or deaths throughout Cornwall and across the UK."

He was nominated for the award by Des Tidbury, Cornwall's chief fire officer, who said: "Mark is a shining example of the commitment our staff have to protecting the people of Cornwall.

"His outstanding work has led to a raised awareness of the causes and dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and I am delighted he has won this award."

Councillor Geoff Brown, Cornwall Council's portfolio holder for homes and communities, also praised Mr Pratten's work.

"This is yet another example of Cornwall Fire and Rescue leading the way both locally and nationally on community safety and Mark's efforts and initiative to improve safety for caravan owners and visitors has gained him this well-deserved recognition. He is a great credit to the service."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR