Login Register

Bodmin and district grassroots sport, October 26

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: October 26, 2012

  • Shirley Hoskin presents a cheque on behalf of the Barclays UK Giving Community to Camelford FC chairman Mark Tapley and treasurer Rob Cook.

Comments (0)



The disastrously wet summer of 2012 will be long-remembered for the number of outdoor events which either had to be cancelled or which went ahead and lost vital funds for community clubs, agriculture shows and charities alike.

Not least Camelford Football Club's main annual fundraising event, Party on the Pitch, which went ahead at the beginning of July despite the appalling weather on the night and which incurred a loss of £3,000.

This was disastrous for the club, which runs five youth teams as well as three adult teams, the 1st XI playing in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League, having been promoted in the 2010-2011 season.

Following this, Gerald and Shirley Hoskin decided to help the club by organising a series of five cake stalls in Camelford each Friday through August, which raised more than £1,000.

Then they organised a Safari Supper, which took place on September 29 and raised a further £1,400.

In addition, Shirley was able to obtain 'matched funding' by applying to the Barclays Bank UK Giving Community scheme as a pensioner of the bank, which has brought in another £750.

This has meant a total of more than £3,000 has been raised for the club through the summer and has offset the deficit incurred.

Camelford secretary Hilary Kent said of Gerald and Shirley: "Their hard work and enthusiasm has been a real boost for our club and their fundraising has put us back on track financially."

However, as Gerald and Shirley said, all this could not have been possible without the generous support and enthusiasm received from the players and parents of the youth teams and, particularly, from people in the local community. Huge 'thank you's' go to all those who are too numerous to mention.

U15 Rugby


Another beautiful sunny autumn's morning this week saw the Lions face Saltash away.

Saltash opened the game with Jake Chapman receiving their long kick down the pitch unfortunately a dropped the ball gave Saltash the first scrum.

Liskeard then worked hard and were rewarded with the first try of the match scored by Goron Jones, set up by Jack Badnall.

Again Liskeard held their line, with the ball was passing quickly out to Jones who then passed to Dan Hughes, Alex Butters, Alistair Francis and then finally to Joe Andrews who dodged through the opposition scoring a second try for Liskeard.

Following a Saltash kick, full back Ben Gordon received the ball deep in the Saltash end and sprinted with lightening speed down the wing.

He was about to score behind the post but unfortunately dropped the ball which gave Saltash had a scrum five metres from their try line.

Liskeard-Looe kept the pressure on, and some excellent defending ensured the ball was quickly passed through to Matt Stacey, Andre Stockwell and finally Jack Badnall who ploughed through the Saltash defence to score the third try and lead 15-0 at the break.

The second half continued in much the same vein with Saltash winning the first scrum following another knock on by Liskeard.

However, Saltash couldn't maintain possession due to a good Liskeard defence. Kieran Lyne kicked the ball over the Saltash defence which enabled Ali Francis to chase the ball and scramble over the line for the fourth Lions try, converted by Joe Andrews.

Another brilliant pass along the Liskeard line with Sam Hooper feeding the ball to Archie Doidge who sprinted through the centre of the pitch to score again which was once more converted by Andrews.

Shortly afterwards Gordon scooped up the ball in the Saltash half and was this time successful in his sprint to put the ball over the line between the posts giving Andrews a third easy conversion.

Some fantastic passing between the backs saw Dan Hughes gain possession to score the final try.

Saltash had a good amount of possession with some good passing but unfortunately couldn't get past the Lions defence to score.

Women's Football

St Teath 0, Kilkhampton 0:

Kilk finally started a game with 11 players, with two new players, Jazz Rasher and Georgia Kerr, making their debuts in this Cornwall League division two game..

Kilk played well in the opening minutes when Georgia Kerrs effort was saved by the home keeper. Kilk continued to press the home team and were rewarded with several corners Yvette Parfett's ball into the box were cleared well by the Saints defence.

Annemarie Lathem and Roxy Radmore were linking well but the final ball through was easily dealt with by the keeper.

When the Saints put the pressure on Kilk their back four of Claire Gifford, Jazz Rasher, Vinnie Shadrick and Rachel Hardwick thwarted their efforts.

St Teath were unlucky not to be one up when a back pass to Kilks keeper was intercepted only a good save from the keeper denied them. Just before half time Kilk were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and Yvette Parfetts shot went narrowly wide.

In the second half Kilk were down to ten players but they dominated putting St Teath on the back foot Alice Weaver put a tantalizing ball across the six yard box Roxy Radmores touch went wide.

Minutes later Yvette Parfetts shot hit the side netting and Alice Weavers shot was saved time and again Kilk produced great openings but with great home defending and goalkeeping they could not break the deadlock.

St Teath came close at the other end but a combination of defender and goalkeeper kept them out.With the clock running down Yvette Parfett ran on to a loose ball and the keeper blocked bravely and a double save a minute later saw the points shared.

Junior Football


Plymouth Trophyman 2 St Cleer Youth 4:

St Cleer were coming into this game having only lost once this season in the league.

They started brightly from the whistle and within a couple of minutes Dan Harris gave them the lead, capitalising on a superb through ball from Tyler Walsh chipping the keeper.

It wasn't long before the Saints scored again with a great individual goal from Liam Colenzo. The Saints should have extended their lead on several occasions, but were kept out with some good saves by the home keeper.

Towards the end of the first half, Trophyman scored a fine goal against the run of play, giving Saints stand-in keeper Aiden Haynes no chance to save it.

The Saints were denied again on several occasions and were caught on the break by the home team who scored to level the game.

This seemed to ignite a fighting spirit for the Saints who then went ahead, Walsh scoring a great individual goal.

Luck played a part in Saints' fourth, when Walsh shot and the ball bounced cruelly, leaving the keeper stranded and extending the Saints' lead further.

The home team pushed hard to get back into the game, but Saints stood strong and remain second in the league.

This was a great all round team performance considering the Saints travelled with only 11 players.

Aiden Haynes, who was covering in goal, didn't have much to do as the back four of Dan Sewell, Ash Davies, Freddie Stephens and Owen Martin gave the home side little opportunity to shoot.

There were great runs down the wing by Sam Wiltshire and Joel Isted, stretching the home defence, both players unlucky not to get on the score sheet.

The centre midfield trio of Louis Devine, Dan Harris and Tyler Walsh worked tirelessly, supporting lone striker Liam Colenzo, who held the ball up superbly. Several players sustained injuries during the game, but continued with great commitment and resolve.

The Saints player of the match was Liam Colenzo.

St Cleer: Aiden Haynes, Owen Martin, Freddie Stephens, Ash Davies, Dan Sewell, Sam Wiltshire, Dan Harris, Tyler Walsh, Louis Devine, Joel Isted, Liam Colenzo.

The Saints entertain Hooe Rovers tomorrow at St Cleer Sports Field, 12.30pm kick-off.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters