Login Register

Football: Duchy League review, October 2

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: October 02, 2013

  • DELIVERED BY HORSE BOX: Boscastle AFC's first team players were delivered from the Boscastle ground a short way away, by horse box on Saturday to the car park opposite the Cobweb Inn, who have sponsored new shirts and shorts for the team. Back row, from left: Nick Lawson, Robin Haddy (manager), Jamie Burnett, Sam Haddy. Middle row: Rob Heal (captain), Jonny Brewer, Martin Seldon, Jake Dickinson. Front row: Sam Capstick, Henry Bright, Jamie Fuller, Matt Jolliffe, Jonny Bosley. Missing from picture: Aaron Washer and Matt Pethick. by David Flower.

Comments (0)

KMD Developments Knockout Cup


St Dominick continued their excellent start to the season by toppling Premier Division side Pelynt 2-1.

This was a scrappy tie, but the young home side were impressive, with Corey Nesbitt and Scott Coombe on target for them.

The Pelynt consolation came off a St Dominick defender for an own goal.

St Columb Major ended a difficult week, which saw their reserve side withdraw from the league, conclude with a fine 2-1 win at Looe Town in the first round of the KMD Developments Knockout Cup.

Ashley Bicknell and Ben Atherton scored for St Columb with Steve Gowing replying.

St Cleer bossed the first half at home to Pensilva, but had a mad five minutes before half time when they gifted their opponents two goals.

Chasing the game after the restart, Pensilva hit the hosts twice more to complete a 4-0 win. Jon Filbey scored a hat trick with Sam Rogers getting their other goal.

Bodmin Trophies League Cup


Mevagissey beat Standard Inn 2-0 in the first round of the Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup.

Ryan Morcom gave them the lead with Ryan Lavery getting the second to put the tie out of reach.

Roche put out Royal Par 2-0. A cross from the left was slotted in by Jamie Stephens in the first half, with Andy Craddock heading in a corner in the second half.

Reserve Cup


North Petherwin reserves progressed to a quarter-final tie of the Reserve Team Cup at Pelynt after beating Boscastle reserves 5-1 in the first round.

Paul Penny scored a hat-trick and Barry Rutherford a brace in the comprehensive win. Jack Routly scored the visitors' consolation.

Lamerton were seconds away from a famous win over Premier Division opposition. Phil Wearing gave them a 23rd minute lead at home to Torpoint Athletic.

With the game in added time Torpoint were awarded a penalty and Tom Rothwell hit home an equaliser.

Biscovey were without a regular keeper for their game with St Stephen. This was an even game with Biscovey taking a first half lead through Jimmy Penhall.

Early in the second half, Biscovey gave the ball away and the stand in keeper brought down the Saints forward. Ross Dunn equalised from the penalty kick.

There was still little to choose between the sides, but Kyle Willmott gave St Stephen a 2-1 win late on.

Division One


Altarnun won 5-0 at Edgcumbe to inflict a fifth successive defeat on the home team as their miserable start in Division One continued.

The visitors were two up in five minutes, both well-worked goals. Sam Smith hit the first from 20 yards after a good move and he added the second with a shot on the turn.

A third just before half time ended the contest with Stuart Cole beating two players and rolling into the corner.

Another well-worked goal in the second half saw Wayne Francome get a well-deserved goal and Smith capped his day with a hat-trick strike ten minutes from time.

Grampound won 4-2 at St Mawgan. Derrick Lucas, Tim Peers, Hayden Boxall and Peter Thomas scored for Grampound with Sean Lambart getting both St Mawgan goals.

Division Two


St Minver remain unbeaten on top of the Division Two after a 2-1 win at Boscastle. Sam Haddy scored for the hosts with St Minver claiming the points from a Tom Whitehead strike and an own goal.

Foxhole continued their impressive start, but they were made to work for a 4-1 win over Holywell/Cubert Athletic.

The first half was quite even up to the half hour when Foxhole won a penalty and Shane Kibell put them ahead. Within five minutes Dave Pearce doubled the advantage with a superb header.

Holywell bossed the second half, but were caught on the break and Sam Leaney increased the home lead. Mike Deacy pulled one goal back, but Leaney added his second ten minutes from time.

AFC Bodmin were in sparkling form in the first half of their match at Gunnislake. Jason Willis hit a hat-trick and Mike Horne added another as they sailed into a four-goal lead. The second half was goalless as Bodmin closed out a 4-0 win.

The writing was on the wall for St Breward in the first minute when Martyn Probert put Premier Sixes one up.

The goal machine had stretched the lead to six by half time. Probert completed his hat trick with Joe Harvey adding one and defender Al Titterington scoring twice.

Tiiterington was given the chance to complete an unlikely hat trick, but his penalty kick was saved by Ben Nurse.

St Breward were a much more resolute side after the break, and Nurse was in stunning form making a number of excellent saves. He was beaten just once, ten minutes from the end when Karl Olander scored.

LC Phoenix and Sticker served up an entertaining and even first half, sharing the points from a 1-1 draw. With little to choose between the sides in the first half and two teams looking to play football, the visitors took the lead on the half hour with a short corner from Jack Boardman being flicked home by Zak Smith-Brokenshire.

Phoenix upped their game in the second period and with Sticker unable to keep the ball, the home side began to control proceedings.

It was no real surprise when the home side equalised through Darren Webber. Sticker missed a late penalty and in the final analysis were probably grateful for a share of the spoils.

Gerrans & St Mawes United made the long journey to Week St Mary and were rewarded with Callum Ferris scoring the only goal of the game.

Division Three


Stoke Climsland lost their 100 per cent start at the top of Division Three after being held 2-2 at Queens Rangers.

Paul Crocker and Dave Morton scored for Queens with Stoke replying through Ben Jeffery and an own goal.

North Hill continued their fine start with Jason Ridgment scoring a brace and Chris Rockell adding a further goal in their 3-2 win at Callington Town. Ricky Coton and Chris Walker replied.

Lanivet Inn beat Camelford 2-1 with Darren Lang and Chris Jennings on target. Craig Thompson replied.

St Stephen reserves suffered a heavy 6-0 home defeat to Lifton, but the story of the match was far different.

St Stephen were the better side in the first half, but were caught on the break twice before half time and conceded two goals.

They conceded a third right after half time and with heads dropping, the visitors went on to score three more.

Welcome Inn have made a decent start and they improved their position with a 3-1 win at St Neot.

Connor Stone score the home goal, but Welcome claimed the points with goals from Jake Blythe, Mark Nagle and an own goal.

Delabole were strolling 4-1 up with ten minutes remaining at home to Lanreath, but their legs went and they struggled to hold on before eventually closing out a 4-3 win.

Mike Barrett, Ashley Morris, Josh Bluett and Scott Greenaway looked to have put the match out of reach until the late fight back.

Tyler Collins scored a brace on his debut for Lanreath with Jake Smith completing their tally.

Division Four


Tregony ended Pensilva reserves' 100 per cent start to the season in Division Four with a 3-2 victory. Kai Pearce, Dave Grose and Kieran Davey scored for Tregony with Arron Lane and Jacob England replying.

Gorran inflicted a first defeat on Tintagel. Jack Bray-Smith scored a brace and Josh Lovell added another in their 3-2 success. Adam Price and Jimi Siford replied for Tintagel.

Bobby Lee Johns and Ollie Young scored a brace apiece as Veryan thrashed St Cleer reserves 7-1. The home scoring was completed by Andy Pearce, Justin Trebilcock and an own goal.

Division Five


St Merryn won 5-2 at Pelynt to stay unbeaten in Division Five. Kevin Allen and Luke Worrall scored a brace apiece with Ashley Rescorla completing their tally.

Dave Allsey and Ryan Oxley replied for Pelynt.

Tregrehan Mills won for the first time this season, beating Godolphin Atlantic reserves 3-1. Sam Rowse put them ahead, but the visitors equalised just after half time through Danny Burton.

Tom Adams restored the hosts' lead with Rowse scoring his second to seal the points.

St Mawgan turned up with only ten men at St Minver reserves and slumped to a 7-0 reverse.

St Minver went 4-0 up by half time with goals from Ryan Butler, Kelvin Hayes, Derrick Disney-Allot and Brian Kelly.

The home team pressed on in the second half with two goals from Connor Bridgway and Kelvin Hayes.

With their backs against the wall, the away side's keeper played well, stopping the scoreline from being even greater. Team captain Brian Kelly finished off the scoring with the seventh.

High Street were 2-1 winners over second placed St Teath, who were not at full strength. Chris Sullivan and Stuart Kesson-Smith were the home scorers.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters