Login Register

Bodmin and district grassroots sport, November 2

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: November 02, 2012

GOLF: Winners of the St Mellion Ladies and Fossils charity fundraising competition, were Sue Davies, Lorraine Nash, David Pover (pictured above) and Charles White. See story this page.

Comments (0)


Illogan Park 30 Camelford 5:

On a cold but brilliantly sunny afternoon, Camelford embarked on this away day to Illogan with high hopes of gaining some more league points.

Despite a marvellous performance this proved not to be. From the kick off the Ford showed their determination to put Illogan under pressure and some fantastic defence meant that they kept the home side at bay.

It took 28 minutes for Illogan to finally smash their way to a try. They won a line out on the Ford's 22 and created a magnificent driving maul which resulted in the ball being shipped blind for their centre to register his side's first score.

The conversion was an excellent kick from wide out.

Seven minutes later the Park crossed again following a strong five metre scrum which provided the platform for their No 8 to crash over. Again the conversion was well taken.

Illogan had gained the ascendancy at this point in the game but it was a mistake by Camelford which allowed them to gain their next converted try.

Camelford ran a penalty but spilt the ball. This was capitalised on by the highly competitive and aggressive home side and they ran in their third try to register a 21 point lead.

From the restart Camelford pressured Illogan heavily and worked hard to keep possession in the home teams 22. This resulted in Illogan's first yellow card and a penalty for the visitors.

Ash Morgan took a quick tap, made the hard yards and passed on to Dan Risdon to score his first try for his club. Unfortunately Jiz Evans did not convert.

This should have been the end of the first half but eight extra minutes were played and Illogan gained a penalty 20 metres from the Camelford line. This was duly slotted by their excellent kicker leaving the half time score at 24-5.

The Ford made two changes at the break bringing Jamie Belsey on for Tim Williams and Gary Wilce in for Rich Hawken.

Within seconds of the start Illogan added another try as the ball not fielded by Camelford at the kick off. Illogan were quicker to respond and took the points giving them a 29-5 lead.

Camelford responded well again and continually pushed the Park deep into their own territory but they were unable to take their chances. Illogan, on the other hand, seemed well able to take their chances and ran in again on 54 minutes for their fifth try following a good running attack.

Illogan were again pushed back and in discipline led to a second yellow card on 60 minutes, but again the Ford could not quite manage to take advantage.

On 65 minutes Camelford lost their captain to injury but were able to reshuffle to keep the side competitive and really applied some pressure to Illogan through some excellent drives by their forwards, especially Neil Douch.

Once again it was Illogan Park who got the score, breaking through the good defensive work of Camelford to score their sixth try and register a 39-5 victory.

The result did little to reflect the improvements made by a competitive Camelford side who are improving week on week and are proving to be a highly competitive side in this league.


Bude 17 Okehampton 21

The league table doesn't often lie, but derby games can be great levellers. So it proved to be at Bencoolen Meadow last Saturday, as Bude and Okehampton battled it out in a high tempo, full blooded encounter.

But the Moorland side sneaked home courtesy of a couple of late penalty kicks, to reinforce their promotion challenge, with the Seasiders left to pick the scraps of a solitary bonus point for finishing within seven points of the victors.

Tomorrow, Bude set off on their travels once more, with Penryn, another of the early season strugglers, their destination.

The Borough are never easy opponents on their own patch, but with another determined performance, the Seasiders could turn them over.

Scores: Bude: Dan Pearce (2 Tries, 2 Conversions and 1 Penalty goal). Okehampton: Neil Perrott, Tom Powell (Tries), Sam Ewen (1 Conversions and 1 Penalty goal), Luke Honeychurch (2 Penalty goals).

Bude: Harry Goodrun, Mark Dennis, Duncan Tout, Olly Denford, Dan Pearce, Andy Yates, Olly Mounce, Jason Bolt, Paul Cholwill, Chris Allin, Luke Dunkin (Capt.), Will Kingdon, Lewis Statton, Josh Farrar, Joe Wilson. Replacements: Matt Williams, James Comber, Richie Herzog.

Men's Hockey

Dart A v Bodmin A:

Bodmin A men's team travelled up to Totnes with four regular players missing and then found there was a colour clash, and had to rush around to find an alternate strip.

So Bodmin started slowly and were caught cold with a early attack and went a goal down.

As the game progressed Bodmin got more and more possession and started pressing for the equaliser.

Bodmin went close a few times in the first half with a good chance created by Paul Rowe, splitting the Dart defence and setting up Bob Lees-Barton who scuffed his shot and the goalkeeper was able to clear.

Other chances by Ross Gibson, after dribbling past 2 or 3 defenders, were either deflected for a corner or flashed past the wrong side of the post.

With solid work at the back from Andy Norton and neat passing from Richard Burke, returning from injury, Bodmin went into the half time break with bags of confidence.

Bodmin stared the second half strongly with good work down the left from Conner Luck and also down the right wing by Tom Price, having been push up from fullback due to unavailable players.

As much as Bodmin pressed, Dart defended deeper and deeper, and it became difficult to get into the D to even get a shot away with Dart blocking or deflecting any hits for yet another corner.

Bodmin became more and more frustrated, and with the umpires not allowing advantage and pulling them back for the free hit, Bodmin couldn't break down the home defence, with the game finishing with a 1-0 win for Dart, who were jubilant at pinching the win.

Bodmin were disappointed with the result but could be pleased with the performance, especially from Tom Price and Jake Pearce, with Jake playing his first match for Bodmin and playing with his grandad, ex RAF and Cornwall player, Bob Lees-Barton, this must be something for the record books.

Junior Hockey


Bodmin's new junior team entered two teams onto their first tournament at Caradon, with mixed results. The boys were in the under 14 side with the girls in the under 12s.

The boys were in a hard group, giving away two years in age, to all teams and this did show in the results but not in the way the team played.

And as this was their first tournament together, they found it hard at first but as the day went on they grew with confidence and experience.

They played some outstanding hockey, although the results did not reflect this, including only just losing to Truro school, having lead for most of the game.

As a result of their play, Bodmin junior boys made lots of new friends with a lot of teams cheering them on, with the aid of their parents.

The girls had better luck than the boys with three draws and a win. This would have been two wins if not for a very embarrassed dad of a borrowed goalkeeper, shouting 'leave the ball' as it just went in off the post.

However, this did not put the girls off in their first tournament, and they got stuck in to all their games with real enthusiasm and effort, again, with the help of some very proud and happy parents.

Like the boys the girls' hockey got better and better as the day went on. At the end of the tournament, the juniors all agreed that it was great fun and they really enjoyed their first tournament and are now looking forward to the next one which is later this month.

These thoughts were also echoed by Paul Simmonds and Ross Marsden, two of the coaches that went along to run the team on the day.

They both agreed that it was nice to see all the hard work that the boys and girls have put into training is paying off with their game play.

This was also backed up with the news that all the juniors that went for the first stage of their county try outs were selected to the next stage.



An 11-0 whitewash of Liberal Club B, aided by checkouts of 100 and 103 from Ron Ingham and Harry Griffin respectively, has made Rivercroft joint leaders with Rally Club, who also had a convincing win when restricting Eliot Arms to just a single point.

Caradon Inn are back in third spot after winning all but one of the 11 points that were on offer when hosting Cheesewring while in a much closer contest, Liberal Club A won by the narrowest of margins away to Con Club .

There were 7-4 victories for both White Hart A and Cornish Ivy A against Cornish Ivy B and East Taphouse respectively while White Hart B remain in the mix after they took all 11 points at Railway.

Maximums: Steve Crane (Rivercroft), Lee Gibbs (White Hart B).


Railway B had a late start to their campaign but have made steady progress in recent weeks and boast an unblemished record after five matches, following their 6-1 success against Cheesewring.

Their stablemates Railway A were not in action this week and have had their position at the top of the table taken by White Hart who defeated Butchers Arms 5-2.

Ivy Mafia move up into third spot on the back of a 5-2 success against East Taphouse while Ivy Belles were unlucky not to get their first win of the season when edged out 4-3 at Sportsmans.

Market Inn produced one of their better performances to beat Manor House 6-1 while The Chuffers emerged 5-2 winners at The Archers.

For the third year running, league members undertook a 12 hour darts marathon at Pengover House with all the proceeds eventually going to the Pengover House Amenity Fund and Mayflower Ward (Kidney Unit) at Derriford Hospital.

A total of 173,772 points were scored within the 12 hour period including 75 throws of a 100 or more, the highest marks being a throw of 159 by Jo Hughes and 168 from Lisa Hoskins.


Sportsmans remain the leaders after a 9-2 defeat of East Taphouse but their advantage has been cut to three points following a 10-1 victory by second placed Rivercroft against Railway B.

The point that saved Railway from a whitewash was a singles victory for Jeanette Keast.

Barbican Inn returned to winning ways with a 7-4 success at Halfway while Rally Club made it four victories from as many starts when beating Callington Cricket Club 9-2.

Marquee Bar were pushed the full distance on their visit to Railway A but won by the odd game in 11, inspired by an excellent finish of 140 from Andy Gill.



St Mellion Ladies and Fossils sections held their annual charity fundraising competition last Thursday. Some 68 ladies and gents took part in a 4 ball Texas Scramble event to raise money for the lady captain's chosen charity, Little Harbour Children's Hospice South West.

Geraldine Howley (ladies' captain) would like to thank everyone who took part for their support and donations which raised more than £500 for Little Harbour.

The winners with a net score of 59.1 were Sue Davies, Lorraine Nash, David Pover and Charles White. The runners-up with a net 59.4 were Fossils' captain Robin Hancock, Alvin Edney, Carole Spry and ladies' captain Geraldine Howley.


The seventh and final Battle Trophy of 2012, the Summer Medal series, was played with a field of 77 golfers.

Michael McKelvey returned a very good net 67 to take first place on the day, both Richard Lawrence and Malcolm Howells came in with net 69s, although Richard pipped Malcolm into second place with a better back nine.

Nick Evans started the day as series leader and despite a big move up the table from Rich Matheron, he held on to the overall lead by three points returning a score of 65 points for his four best rounds.

Rich finished second with 62 and completing the top three and sealing a certain degree of Evans domination in this year's series was Norman Evans, with a four round total of 59 points.


The Owen Cup, a 36 holes medal handicap club championship, offers a different challenge for Trevose Ladies as ot takes place in two rounds over a total of 36 holes.

It is surprising how this format adds extra pressure to the leaders from round one and how often the final contenders come from the pack.

This year, however, Trish Prescott showed great nerve and strength of character to hold off all other contenders to win the Cup.

The first round took place on 9th October after a night of heavy rain. The morning dawned dry although a light drizzle and moderate breeze made playing conditions trickier as the morning wore on.

Lady captain Jane Watts, who has enjoyed an excellent season, once again struck the ball beautifully from tee to green.

With a little more luck on the greens Jane could have established a good lead but several near misses meant that she finished just one ahead of Trish Prescott.

Trish, playing alongside Kit Owen who presented the Cup to the Ladies Section, put together a very strong round which included eight pars. Judy Huntley finished a further two shots back in third place with Norma Richards close behind in fourth.

The four leading players set off with high hopes in the second round on 22 October but met with varying fortunes.

Judy Huntley fell foul of several bunkers and Janes Watts was not able to rediscover the rhythm of her swing until the end of her round.

While Trish and Norma continued to play well they had to be aware that someone could mount a strong challenge from behind. Margaret Oliver did just that and after her first nine holes was in contention to win the Cup.

Unfortunately Margaret encountered difficulties on the 10th and 12th holes and this loss of momentum on the back nine meant that she dropped back just too far to challenge for the title.

In the meantime both Trish and Norma continued to play steadily and fully deserved their success in the overall competition.

Norma managed to make up one shot on Trish during the second round but finally had to settle for runners-up spot as Trish maintained her high standard of play to claim the Cup by two shots.

Result. Cup winner: Trish Prescott 78+80=158; runner-up: Norma Richards 81+79=160. 1st round Medal: Jane Watts 77; 2nd round Medal: Margaret Oliver 77.

Stableford Competition:

Trevose Ladies enjoyed a rare calm and mild day for this week's Stableford Competition. The greatest challenge to players was posed by the ultra fast greens and some tricky pin positions.

Norma Richards enjoyed the thrill of a birdie 2 on the eighth hole on her way to a total of 33 points and top spot in Silver Division.

Norma had to finish strongly to ward off the challenge of Jane Watts. Jane had the edge two holes from home but, unfortunately, got into difficulties on the 17th and that cost her the lead.

She finished just one point behind Norma on 32 points to take second place.

Competition for places was even closer in Bronze Division where Chris Ball and Olive Durnall matched each other point for point right to the end.

Both ladies performed well on the par three holes enjoying pars on the third, eighth and 16th holes between them.

Chris finished with an excellent par five on the 18th hole and this enabled her to equal Olive's total of 32 points and take first place after count back.

Both ladies played very well to produce such an exciting and competitive battle.

Results. 1st Silver: Norma Richards 33pts; 2nd Silver: Jane Watts 32. 1st Bronze: Christine Ball 32 (on count back); 2nd Bronze: Olive Durnall 32.


Steve Blantern finished ahead of an 85-strong quality field to notch up his second win of the series in round seven of this season's Harlyn Cup at Trevose, with 42 Stableford points.

Second with 41 was Richard Steer and third was Rudi Britz from Bill Cairley on countback, after both players finished on 40 points.

Steer and Cairley reached the turn in a one over par 37 for 22 points and at that stage were two ahead of Blantern and Britz.

Coming off the 14th green all four players were level but on the next hole both Blantern and Steer moved one ahead of Cairley and two clear of Britz.

Blantern picked up another six points on the final three holes compared to Steer's five to seal a winning margin by just one point and Britz moved into third place after a countback.

Harlyn Cup (round 7): 1 Steve Blantern 42pts; 2 Richard Steer 41; 3 Rudi Britz 40; 4 Bill Cairley 40.

Victoria Cup (round 7): 1 Kevin Patterson 38pts; 2 Martin Borg 37; 3 Chris Warren 37; 4 Roger Vivian 37.

Victoria Cup (round 8): 1 Neil Ivamy 37pts; 2 D King 36; 3 Steve Cox 35; 4 Jim Owen 32.


The Bude & North Cornwall Golf Club duo of Daniel Vanstone and Shaun Gifford took top honours in the annual Bowood Park Men's Open on Saturday.

The event format was a better ball Stableford played in pairs and attracted a full field of 104 players from clubs across the South West.

Played in a biting north-easterly wind, scoring was always going be tricky with patience being the order of the day. Last year's champions Alan and Ben Dickenson gave an excellent account of themselves in their bid to defend their crown, finishing in a tie for third place but losing out on countback.

Result: 1 Daniel Vanstone & Shaun Gifford 40pts; 2 Nigel Contreras & Steve Cording 39; 3 Rob Cook & Max Stockwell 38; 4 Alan Dickenson & Ben Dickenson 38; 5 Nigel Connolly & Mike Barrett 37.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters