Login Register

Bodmin and district grassroots sport January 22

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 22, 2014

HOCKEY: Bude men's first team. Back row, from left: Lewis Wolfende -Brown, Tom Hall, Kristof Saunders, Stephen Muller, Simon Fry, Andy Arthur. Middle: Wayne Rundle, Calum Hidson, Pete Horton. Front: Mike Aylen. Not pictured is Keith Taylor. by Paul Hamlyn.

Comments (0)


Wadebridge 22 Storm 26

This was an exciting game of well played netball. After Wadebridge had previously beaten Storm they were ready for a tough match on home ground.

Wadebridge started well with clean direct passes but with Storm intercepting the first quarter ended 7-6 to Storm.

The second quarter Wadebridge continued to play at their optimum level, with great team work in defence between Rachel Hoare and Chloe Mewton.

Storm's defence prevented Wadebridge from keeping possession.

A competitive spirit started having a negative affect as Wadebridge were giving away passes for obstruction.

As the half time whistle was blown the score read 13-10 to Storm.

After some feedback Wadebridge made some changes bringing Laura Treleaven on as GS and Debbie Smith as centre.

Recognising their pace of play should be slowed enabling more rational tactful passes.

Wadebridge started well but before long the pace of play increased which created some poor passes and gave Storm opportunities which gave them chance to creep ahead to 21-17 at the end of the third quarter.

With a surge of motivation Wadebridge returned to the court determined to pull it back for their home crowd. Laura Treleaven and Lucy Carthew made use of every pass shooting with great skill. On the final whistle Storm won 26-22.

Player of the match Chloe Mewton played the full match with great defence limiting Storm's options when playing around the D. Also Chloe made great passes between the back line to the centre court helping attack Storm.

Wadebridge's next match is on January 29 at home to Penryn at Wadebridge Sports Centre (9pm).



Liberal Club B move off the bottom of the table after recording their first victory of the season.

Following 18 straight defeats they tasted success for the first time when beating Climbing Ivy 7-4.

League leaders Rivercroft defeated Eliot Arms 8-3 while second placed Victoria A returned from Cornish Ivy with a 9-2 victory.

White Hart B edged out Sports Club Lions 6-5 but drop down into third place.

Lee Gibbs recorded an outshot of 138 for Hart B while K McCollum for the Lions caught the eye when top scoring with 10 throws of a ton or more.

Marquee Bar secured all but one of the 11 points that were on offer away at Cheesewring while Liberal Club A won by the narrowest of margins away at Victoria B.

There were also resounding victories for Rally Club, East Taphouse and Con Club who all won by a 10-1 margin against British Legion, Butchers Arms and White Hart A respectively.

Patrick Rowe impressed for East Taphouse when hitting nine ton plus scores including a checkout of 106.

Maximums: Graham Babb (British Legion), Andy Grant (Rally Club), Nick Hicks (Victoria B).


Third placed The Ladettes moved to within seven points of table-toppers White Hart B when securing all but one of the seven points that were on offer when hosting Marquee Bar

Bottom placed Market Inn produced the result of the week when they defeated fourth placed Cheesewring 6-1, for only their second success of the campaign.

Denise Hughes was on target with a maximum 180, inspiring The Gypsies to a win by the narrowest of margins at Liberal Club while also winning 4-3 were White Hart A, Ivy Belles, Manor House and Butchers Arms.


Sportsmans made it 15 wins on the bounce when defeating Cheesewring 10-1 and go top on their own by a solitary point after Rally Club drop down to second following a 9-2 success when hosting East Taphouse.

Rivercroft gave their points tally a boost when winning 10-1 at Callington Cricket Club while Sports Club overcame White Hart by an 8-3 margin.

In the remaining two matches Marquee Bar and Liberal Club both edged it 6-5 against Halfway and Barbican Inn respectively.

Maximums: Kay Devine (Cheesewring), Nick Hall (Liberal Club).

League tables, see Page 83.



The first competition for 2014, a Stableford, was played with 22 ladies making the most of a day without rain and gales.

Patricia Prescott played very well with a score of 37 points to take first position in the silver division. The bronze division was won by Olive Durnall with 33 points.

Results. Silver Division: 1 P Prescott 37pts; 2 S J Boyd 34. Bronze Division: 1 O Durnall 33pts; 2 D Tregoning 28; 3 Z Elder 27. Gross 2s: D Tregoning on the 3rd hole.


Mark Durnall strengthened his chances of a second win in this event with back to back wins in consecutive weeks.

Durnall, who picked up this title in 2010/11, finished tied on 38 points with Steve Rickard and Tony Kitto but recorded his third win in the current series after a countback.

Results: Harlyn Cup (round 19): 1 Mark Durnall 38pts, 2 Steve Rickard 38, 3 Tony Kitto 38, 4 Neil Higson 36.


On Sunday the captains' drive-in took place with incoming captains Judith Sweet and Mark Gilbert receiving the captains drive-in club from outgoing captains Rene Sweet and Vic Tearle.

Afterwards the 18 hole, three person team event took place.

Results: Winners: Kath Allen, Richard Dart, Dave Vine 76pts.

Runners-up: Mike Casey, Brian Sweet, Chris Pearce 75pts.

Third place: Ian Kitt, Jeremy Cooper, Nigel Ahearn 74pts.


The Cory Cup series swung back into action with round four getting under way after the festive break.

The Church course was shown off in all its glory thanks to some unusually warm, sunny and calm conditions for the time of year ensuring a very good sized field of 95 entrants.

As so often seems to happen when the weather conditions are at their calmest, scoring didn't match expectations and was surprisingly low with nobody in the field managing to match a level handicap score or better.

Things couldn't have been any tighter at the top with three players tying on a best of the day 35 points with John Paul securing first place after a three-way countback pipping Steve Chapman who finished in second place and Anders Tensjo who rounded out the top three.


St Enodoc's Kevin Brenton and John Pease won their quarter-final match in the Perranporth Winter Foursomes on Sunday.

They will be playing their semi-final on February 9 against Pro Paul Turpin and Dave Saget from Carlyon Bay.


Golf Digest magazine is probably the most established, authoritative and biggest selling golf magazine in the World with publication in many countries and it has just produced its Top 100 courses in the World for 2014. St Enodoc features in the list in 99th place.

The rankings are headed by three American icons, Pine Valley in New Jersey, followed by Pebble Beach, Augusta and then the first British course Royal County Down in fourth place.

There are courses from every continent in the list including now China, the United Kingdom is well covered with a total of 28 representatives.

St Enodoc is, of course, honoured to be recognised as a World standard golf course. The full list can be viewed on the Golf Digest website.



Bude 24 Okehampton 22

Bude turned in a rousing second half performance to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against local rivals Okehampton at Bencoolen Meadow on Saturday.

Right wing Olly Denford, the coolest man on the park, slotted a simply superb conversion kick from wide out on the right in quite dreadful conditions underfoot, with barely two minutes remaining to claim the spoils, after replacement left wing Phil Horton had brought the scores level with his side's fourth try of the afternoon.

Too often this season the Seasiders have competed strongly for 50 to 60 minutes before falling away badly in the final quarter which has resulted in numerous heavy defeats and has seen them consigned to a relegation dogfight, but last Saturday was altogether different.

Despite shipping an early sloppy try and trailing for most of the afternoon, their sheer willpower dragged them back into the game, typified by hooker Jason Bolt stealing a strike against the head at a defensive scrum in the 77th minute to set up Horton's stunning score.

With a large crowd expected, including a large complement from match sponsors Harpers Home Mix, the day had started unpromisingly with an early morning pitch inspection and real fears of the game being called off.

However, conditions were deemed just about playable after heavy overnight rain to compound the problems caused by the recent storms, but, even then, it took some last minute work with forks and buckets to disperse a few remaining puddles before the game could go ahead after yet more late morning showers.

With Okehampton keen to do the double after they had thumped Bude 48-5 in the reverse fixture at Oaklands Park in early October, where young Joey Bruce had turned in a virtuoso performance at scrum half, snaffling a hat-trick of tries into the bargain, the visitors started at a high tempo and within a couple of minutes they were seven points up.

With less than a minute on the clock, the hosts had conceded a penalty deep in their 22, in the shadow of the posts and although inside centre Jordan Petherbridge struck an upright with his kick, his centre partner Luke Honeychurch charged down Bude scrum half Duncan Tout's laboured clearance kick from the resulting ruck and fell on the ball for the opening score, with Petherbridge slotting the conversion kick.

Okes were looking sharp and the Seasiders were struggling to get a foothold in the game. On 16 minutes the visitors almost went further in front as pacy winger Robert Fishleigh thundered up the right touch line ball in hand, with almost no defenders in sight.

However, Bude's full back Silas Keeling had other ideas and he sprinted across field at full tilt before downing Fishleigh with a passable impression of a Cheetah bringing down a Gazelle to save a certain try.

Keeling's heroics was just the lift the hosts needed and following a powerful drive by his pack, scrum half Tout made amends for his earlier error, sniping over his side's first try in the 21st minute from a close range ruck.

Denford added the extras, but within four minutes Okehampton were back in front as second row Sam Turner charged over under the posts from 30 metres, after brushing aside some pretty ineffective attempted tackles, to give Petherbridge the simplest of conversion kicks.

Then, shortly before the half hour Petherbridge extended his side's lead to 10 points as Bude were forced to hold on the tackle and conceded yet another penalty.

However, with the scores now coming thick and fast, Keeling's high speed dart up the right was halted illegally and after No 8 Joe Wilson had been held up on the line following a classic "catch and drive" line out move, the elegant Wilson was unstoppable from 5 metres after he picked up the resulting close range scrum.

It was left to the visitors to have the final say of the half as left wing Gary Sizmur crossed wide out on the left in the 37th minute, with the soggy ground conditions and the acute angle combining to deny Petherbridge's final pot at goal of the half.

With Oke's lead back up to 10 points at the break and lively left wing Alex Rakhshani off the park with a hamstring strain, the Seasiders had it all to do if they were to get anything out of this game.

On 45 minutes they reduced the deficit once more as the impressive Jake Keat burrowed over for his side's third try, following a well worked "catch and drive" move, after a close range line out resulting from a penalty kicked to touch.

The hosts brought on the cavalry with player coach Adam Black and Josh Farrar re-enforcing the front and back rows of their scrum. Black was soon in trouble with the referee for a dump tackle, resulting in a yellow card.

Okehampton now went for the jugular as they pounded the home side's line. However, showing real spirit and an off lacking cussedness, Bude's seven man pack refused to buckle, turned over the ball at a ruck barely a metre from their own line and the ball was cleared to touch.

With the hosts now restored to a full complement and time rapidly running out, now came a thunderous drive by their pack and Bolt's swift footwork which saw half backs Tout and Andy Yates combine to send Horton across the whitewash to claim their first try scoring bonus point of the season and set up Denford's coup de grace.

Basement side Paignton provide the opposition this Saturday on the South Devon Riviera and if the Seasiders can grab another five point victory on the road their chances of survival will be looking much improved.

Bude: Silas Keeling, Olly Denford, Lewis Seaton, Ryan Butler, Alex Rakhshani (Phil Horton), Andy Yates, Duncan Tout, Jason Bolt, Paul Cholwill (Capt.) (Adam Black), Jake Keat, Will Kingdon, Matt Williams (Josh Farrar), Mark Parsons, Ben Hancock, Joe Wilson.

Scorers: Bude: Tries – Duncan Tout, Joe Wilson, Jake Keat, Phil Horton; conversions - Olly Denford.

Okehampton: Tries – Luke Honeychurch, Sam Turner, Gary Sizmur, Conversions – Jordan Petherbridge; penalty – Petherbridge.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters