Login Register

Bodmin and district grassroots sport February 12

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 12, 2014

PROUD WINNERS: Pictured at a recent award ceremony were some of the Ju Jitsu Launceston members who gained their new grades. Back row from left: Luke Flint orange, Tony Harding brown belt first tag, Danny Bright blue, Rob Curtis, 3rd dan, Simon Gregory, orange, Liza Sperling, orange and Stewart Meade, Brown 2nd tag. Front: Amy James green, Jack Biddick green, Jack Phippard orange Kevin Semple 1st dan, Callum Brown green, and Grace Phippard green.

Comments (0)

Martial Arts


January saw the return to training of the Ju Jitsu Launceston after their Christmas break.

Another successful year culminated in a grading just before Christmas where the club celebrated their first member to gain his first dan black belt with Kevin Semple.

Robert Curtis himself a third dan black belt who started the club in 2007 said he was very pleased with the way the club was progressing and was particularly delighted with the juniors progress.

Kevin, who is 51, started on the first day the club was founded. He says it was a very friendly club and everyone found the training very enjoyable.

Ju jitsu is a martial art that encompasses punches, kicks, throws and locks. A complete martial art.

The club is an offshoot of the Tavistock club, where Robert began his training and Launceston members have the privilege of training at the other clubs within the Goju Ryu style at Tavistock and Tamerton Foliot at no extra cost.

JuJuisu Launceston meet on Mondays at St Stephens Church Hall from 6.45 to7.45 for the Juniors and 8 till 9.30 for the seniors. Anyone interested in finding out more can email Kevin On jujitsulauncestonks@hotmail.com or ring 07726591081.


Liskeard Tigers 40, Curtis Marine 21

Liskeard kicked off the second half of their season against Curtis Marine, who they had previously beaten in their first game in the PDNL.

Tigers opened the scoring from the Curtis centre pass and quickly went 3-1 up, but Curtis fought back with the turnover ball and shot three with no reply from the Tigers.

However, as the Tigers settled into the quarter and with both Smale and Duffey netting all attempts, Liskeard extended their lead to 10-5 lead at quarter time.

Unchanged for the second period, Liskeard were encouraged by their early lead. However, the tall Curtis shooters caused problems for Lemon and Barker. High balls were fed into the circle and Curtis clawed back to within four goals.

Liskeard came back hard though, forcing the intercept in the mid court and feeding the ball safely through Halliday and Nickle up to attack.

Tigers extended to nine goals ahead before Curtis came back again. A much closer quarter ended 10-9, with Liskeard 20-14 up at half time.

Christina Broad replaced Duffey at half time, with the remaining team unchanged. Defensively Liskeard started to tighten up and numerous tips from Lemon disrupted the Curtis attack to 7 attempts at goal compared to Liskeard's 19 gave the Tigers the edge.

Smale and Broad took a while to settle and struggled with the close range shots, but both fought hard to convert the rebounds and keep their team in front, ending the period 30-17.

Duffey replaced Player of the Match Smale for the final quarter and with a 13 goal lead Liskeard were hopeful the win was in sight.

Curtis made several changes with the strong GS moving out to GA and the springy Centre moving back to defence.

However, Liskeard had found their stride and continued their strong performance. Interceptions across the court were fed safely to Walsh and Nickle who fed the circle, where any missed attempts were scooped up for the rebound.

Another strong quarter for the Tigers, winning 10-4 to end the game 40-21.

Captain Holly Lemon was pleased with the win. She said: "It certainly wasn't the best we've played but we did what we had to do and it's great to get the second half of the season started with a win.

"Lucy and Gabi both had a great game in the shooting circle and it was good to see Christina starting to fit in well with their play.

"We certainly have a lot of work to do before facing University III next week but after a disappointing loss against Saltash last game we're back on the right track!"

Starting line-up: GK Kay Barker, GD Holly Lemon, WD Louise Haliday, C Molly Walsh, WA Jo Nickle, GA Gabi Duffey, GS Lucy Smale. Res Christina Broad.



Thirteen points from two fixtures has seen Sports Club Lions move up the table to share the second place berth, writes Steve Chapman.

They won their re-arranged match against Eliot Arms 9-2 before losing 7-4 away at Victoria A, despite good performances from K McCollum (100x13) and A Johnson (100x10).

Table-toppers Rivercroft went down 8-3 at White Hart B and their lead has now been cut to four points.

Bob Savor fired in a checkout of 110 but finished up on the wrong end of a 9-2 scoreline when Butchers Arms were defeated at Rally Club.

Marquee Bar edged out White Hart A by the odd game in 11 despite the weeks' highest checkout of 134 being recorded by Hart's John Jefford.

Climbing Ivy triumphed 8-3 against Cheesewring while British Legion returned from Liberal Club B with a 7-4 victory.

There were wins by the narrowest of margins for Eliot Arms, aided by a checkout of 113 from Paul Bray, and also Con Club and Cornish Ivy.

Maximums: Dave Cooper (Liberal Club A), Nigel Haley (Eliot Arms), Nick Hicks (Victoria B), Raymond Haley (Marquee Bar), Steve Barnes (Rally Club).


White Hart B were the week's biggest winners when taking maximum points off Liberal Club and the title favourites now boast a lead of 11 points and a game in hand over second placed The Gypsies who won 5-2 against Cheesewring.

White Hart A dropped just a single point in disposing of Sportsmans while Manor House and East Taphouse both won by the odd game of seven.

Kay Devine (100x5) caught the eye for The Ladettes as they triumphed 5-2 away at Ivy Belles, the same winning scoreline that was also achieved by Butchers Arms on their visit to Con Club.


Sportsmans made it 18 wins on the bounce when taking maximum points from East Taphouse and increased their advantage to 11 points over second placed Rally Club who were 8-3 winners at White Hart.

Barbican Inn consolidated third spot with an 11-0 whitewash of Cheesewring while Liberal Club defeated Callington CC 9-2 for whom, Steve Edwards hit a finish of 102.

Kevin Latham made a kill of 101 for Sports Club in their 6-5 defeat at Marquee Bar and there was also a win by the narrowest of margins for Rivercroft when hosting Halfway.

Maximums: Steve Edwards (Callington CC), Lee Gibbs (Sportsmans).

Darts league tables, page 87.



This week saw round five of the Cory Cup being played under clear sunny skies, something that clearly tempted people out onto the links with a good sized field of 91 members entered.

Despite some of the recent downpours, the Church course was again presented in excellent condition and presented a tough test on the day with the clear skies being accompanied by some strong gusty winds.

It couldn't have been any tighter at the top with the top three players all coming in with a score of 33 points and running out winner after the three way countback was Geoff Jones, followed by Martin Biddle in second and Norman Evans in third.

With four rounds to play the current series standings are: John Arnold 67, Martin Biddle 64, Norman Evans, Phil Jory 61.

The 4 Ball Better Ball competition was a different proposition altogether with very cold and wet conditions combining with extremely strong winds ensuring that a very small field of only 20 players were entered.

First place went to the pairing of Matt Smith and Neil Carhart after a countback with Shaun Beare and Danny Hoare finishing in the runners- up spot after both pairs finished with a betterball score of 28 points.


Two medal competitions were played on the Church Course last week in mild conditions as the ladies made the most of a short respite from playing in the wind and rain.

On Sunday February 2, Sue Willmott claimed the top spot.

On Tuesday February 4, the following players put in prize winning performances:

Division 1: 1 Mary Rayment nett 78; 2 Pauline Meredith nett 82.

Division 2: 1 Sue Richards nett 83; 2 Viv Steer nett 87.

U11s Rugby


The Liskeard Looe U11s finally went down 35-14 in the mud and hail at Wadebridge.

Almost surprised to have a match, Liskeard Looe accepted the hospitality of Wadebridge and enjoyed a competitive fixture on a day when sun, rain, hail and even, somebody said, a little snow, fell from the sky.

It was the Lions' first fixture since mid-December and the return meeting against a team they narrowly beat by the odd try in 11 in November.

Liskeard-Looe started strongly with a number of attacks, Callum Slater skilfully finishing in the corner to take a 7-0 lead after brother James had made the conversion.

With Wadebridge featuring three older players their strength began to tell and the teams turned round with Wadebridge leading 21-7.

Harry Barlow and James Slater had made numerous pounding tackles and Oli Dennett, on the wrong end of some big hits himself, had tried his utmost to set speedsters Oli Bragg and Josh Pidcock away.

In the second half the Lions fought back and played some text book rugby, Ethan Crabb beginning a move with a driving forward run which nearly led , after numerous hands, to a try on the opposite wing.

The Lions were eventually rewarded with a try as Zach Stribley ran across the defence and set Joe Maywood to pierce the Wadebridge defence for a well-deserved try. Jay Mason completed the conversion.

At 21-14 the Lions had a number of chances but the strength and size of Wadebridge eventually won through with two further tries in the second half.

Man of the match for his try and tackling and ripping was Callum Slater.

This was a spirited performance in difficult conditions and will be good practice for the visit to Camborne this week.

Women's Hockey

Bude Ladies II 0 Bodmin Ladies II 2

Bodmin were celebrating a third consecutive Trelawney Division 1 win on Saturday after overcoming Bude in some extreme weather conditions.

Bodmin, who have recorded two previous losses to Bude in recent seasons, took the hosts by surprise with strong passing and possession from the start.

Five minutes in, the Bude defence crumbled as winger Tamar Morton-Clarke secured a penalty corner for the Dragons which proved deadly for the hosts.

Bodmin, employing their fast, well disciplined routine, saw Katie Dyson find Kirsty Harvey who slipped in striker Jess Whittock who smashed the ball past the hosting keeper from the top of the scoring zone to open the scoring for the determined Bodmin side.

Despite the 40 mph winds, Bude gave a good fight and came at Bodmin with some strong drives. Their endeavours won them a number of penalty corners none of which they were able to convert.

Bodmin captain and central defender Sarah Hawkey saw much of the threat away with some forceful clearances.

Bodmin's trademark fighting spirit continued with midfielder Katrina Werren battling past a tiring home side advancing play into the hot zone and a Katie Dyson deflection made it 2-0 before half-time.

Bude came back in the second half with renewed vigour soon putting the Bodmin defence into overdrive, but their efforts were no match for seen valiant stand-in Bodmin keeper Paulette Spry who kept the Bude score sheet clean.

Notable performances were from Elizabeth Scanes and Evie Colllings, both playing well on the wing, working the ball around the Bude midfield and contributing to an overall strong performance for Bodmin.

Players of match were Kirsty Harvey, Sarah Hawkey and Katrina Warren.

Bodmin claim the three points and overtake Bude to occupy fourth position in Trelawney One.

Bodmin Dragons men's and ladies train every Thursday from 7pm to 8.30pm at the Dragon. Leisure Centre, Bodmin. All new members welcome.

Next match: Saturday March 1, v Plym Valley 2.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters