Login Register

Bodmin and district grassroots sport, December 7

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 07, 2012

  • RUNNING: members of Launceston Road Runners who did so well at the Mob Match in Falmouth. See story below.

Comments (0)



Bodmin Road Runners unveiled their new club running kit at the Cornish Mob Match Grand Prix race at Falmouth.

The blue and gold quarter running vest takes it idea from Bodmin Heritage Day flag that always flies on Mount Folly.

Bodmin Road Runners were formed at the start of this year and now have 25 members.

Club chairman David Grant said: "We were looking for a vest in the town's blue and gold, when the Heritage Flag idea came up.

"The new vest really stands out and seemed to go down well with the other clubs in Cornwall, and also lots of 'well done Bodmin' from the crowd.

"The club would also like to say a big thank you to The Sports Shop, Bodmin, for their help and sponsorship."

The club hope to carry on growing into 2013 anyone who wants more information can go to www Bodmin Road Runner co.uk

Bodmin Road Runners had 11 members running in the Mob Match at Falmouth.

Bodmin's first runner home was Neil Dain in a very good time of 31m 14s. He finished in 31st place followed by Dan Nicholls in 96th place in 34m37s.

First lady home for Bodmin was Vicki Sparkes in 39m55s. The team all finished in under the hour.

Bodmin RR came in second place in division three for clubs with 50 members and under, the best result of the season as it was the first time Bodmin have been placed.

Bodmin times: Neil Dain 31m 14s; Dan Nicholls 34m 37s; Justin Chenoweth 36m 00s; Tom Sparkes 36m 12s; Martin Morgan 39m21s; Vicki Sparkes 39m55s; Jane Stephens 43m25s; Sherry walker 43m33; Sarah Cox 44m 04s; David Grant 48m44s; Anne Dear 57m 01s.


Launceston Road Runners' longest serving member, 69-year-old Jim Baker, took on the Survival of the Fittest challenge at Battersea Park in London (the final event of a series of races, held at Cardiff, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Manchester), along with approximately 12,000 other entrants.

The event, a six-mile run incorporating 97 obstacles, is organised by Rat Race and sponsored by Men's Health magazine.

The runners were sent off in waves of 300 at 15 minute intervals, to run, climb, swing, lift, crawl, jump, and slide their way around the course.

As if this wasn't enough, competitors wallow in mud, ice cubes, water, gunge, coal, and a steeple chase including the water jump, carry sand bags over obstacles and even carry beer barrels through the beer tent.

When every muscle in your body thinks it's had enough, the 8ft "Wall of Fame" is the final obstacle to overcome to cross the finish line.

Jim completed the event in 1hr 27mins and has organised other challenges for next year involving more mud and several mountains.

Mob Match results: Brian Wiles 35:10, Philip Box 39:02, Alan Littlejohns 40:41, Martin Venning 42:39, Dave Pickard 44:20, Linda Pickard 44:46, Janet Lathom 45:28, Sue Burges 46:33, Jackie Chapman 47:34, Ann Venning 56:48.

Cornwall Multi Terrain Race Series. Male Open: 2nd, Dan Rodgers; Male Under 40: 2nd, Dan Rodgers.

If you would like to be part of the Launceston club, go along for a social run on Tuesday nights, at Phoenix Leisure Centre, Launceston at 6.45pm and their training sessions on a Thursday night, meeting in the car park at the Phoenix Leisure Centre at 7pm.

Wednesday afternoon runs take place in Bude, meeting at the rugby club at 3.30pm. All ages and abilities are most welcome.

Please contact Kevin on 01566 784513, email comm.@treggy7.co.uk, go to www.launcestonroadrunners.co.uk or visit their Facebook page for further details.



Bodmin Dragons swimmers took part in Exeter City Swimming Club's November Meet at the Pyramids in Exeter.

Lyndon Holmes-Beddow, Eddie Glover, Daniel Watkins, George Spencer, Scott Temple, Amy Randall, Lili-Keau Juntakereket, Lani House, Charlie Randall and Katie Randall all braved the storms to compete against the cream of Devon swimming.

Lyndon Holmes-Beddow (12), had a very successful day with second places in the 100 Individual Medley, 100 Freestyle, 100 Backstroke and 50 Freestyle, and third place in the 50 Backstroke.

Eddie Glover (12) put in some excellent performances, and was rewarded with third place in the 100 Backstroke.

Daniel Watkins (12) was also on form and was rewarded with third place in the 200 Backstroke.

George Spencer (14) battled to 1st place in the 200 Breaststroke with a qualifying time for the South West Championships in 2013.

Scott Temple (17) secured second places in the 100 Breaststroke, 100 Freestyle and 50 Breaststroke.

Amy Randall (9), the youngest of the Bodmin team, won first place in the 50 Freestyle and second place in the 200 Freestyle.

Lili-Keau Juntakereket (11) was just out of the medals in the 50 Backstroke; while recording a personal best time.

Lani House (12) secured second places in the 100 Breaststroke and 50 Breaststroke. Charlie Randall (13) came through to third place in the 200 Freestyle.

Katie Randall (14), sticking to her favourite stroke, won second places in the 50 Butterfly and 100 Butterfly.

Team managers Sharon Watkins and Michelle Glover were pleased with the performance of their team on the day, with many of the swimmers securing qualifying times for the Cornwall County Championships in 2013.


Bodmin A 4, Tavistock A 0

Bodmin A entertained an experienced Tavistock A team at the Dragon Centre on Saturday.

Bodmin were without Ben Morris (who was at the birth of his second daughter) and Richard Burke, but welcomed the return of Paul Rowe and Kirk Rose.

Bodmin started strongly, but it took 18 minutes before they got their 1st goal, this was from a Bodmin short corner which Tavistock managed to block, but Paul Rowe picked up the rebound and hit an unstoppable shot into the top of the net.

More pressure followed and another good move by the Bodmin midfield resulted in a intercepted cross to the right wing falling to Bob Lees-Barton in front of goal, giving him an easy tap-in.

Bodmin came close a few more times but were unable to score again before half time.

Tavistock came out in the second half strongly but with Andy Norton looking solid at the back and full backs Tim Retallick and Gary Bettison marking well, this enabled Kirk Rose to break forward on numerous runs, causing panic and hefty stick tackles by the Tavistock players.

It was in the 18th minute of the second half when Bodmin got their third and best goal, this was after a mazy run by Nathan Davis which looked as if he had been stopped on the top of the D with nowhere to go, but he managed to fool the defence with a sharp push of the ball through a crowded D into the opposite corner with the goalkeeper stranded.

Bodmin got their final goal, 6 mins from time by a short corner which Kirk Rose drag flicked through the keepers pads, resulting in a final score of 4-0.

The man of the match vote went to Sandy Finley, who, along with Tom Price continue to improve each game.



There is no change at the top of the table after the leading duo both achieved victories by an 8-3 margin.

Tabletoppers White Hart B defeated Cheesewring while second placed Rally Club overcame Butchers Arms and had Andy Grant top scoring with 10 ton plus throws which included an outshot of 112.

Third placed Rivercroft lost some ground on the two front runners after they suffered an 8-3 defeat by Cornish Ivy A.

Bottom team Liberal Club B have now gone four weeks without adding to their points tally after suffering another whitewash away at East Taphouse.

Steve Harris was on target with an outshot of 117 as Caradon Inn triumphed 9-2 away at Liberal Club A and Con Club achieved the same winning scoreline when hosting Railway while White Hart A emerged 8-3 winners at Eliot Arms.

Maximums: Ian Vine (Con Club), Belinda Hall (Railway), Neil Libby (Rally Club).


Railway A consolidated their position at the top of the table and were the week's biggest winners when restricting Ivy Belles to just a single point.

Second placed White Hart won at Market Inn by the narrowest of margins while Railway B emerged 5-2 winners at Ivy Mafia and should end the first half of the season in second spot with games in hand.

In the remaining matches there were 4-3 victories for Butchers Arms, Manor House and Cheesewring.


Rally Club suffered their first defeat of the season when they were beaten 7-4 at Barbican Inn, despite a good performance from Andy Grant who pulled out a checkout of 117.

They still hold on to top spot, but have had their advantage cut to three points by second placed Sportsmans who defeated Callington Cricket Club 9-2.

After eight straight defeats, White Hart returned to winning ways when they edged out East Taphouse 6-5 while Railway A were 7-4 winners away at Halfway.

John Chudleigh earned the plaudits when inspiring Marquee Bar to an 11-0 victory at Railway B and set a new mark for the season's top checkout when finishing from 156.



Round four of the Stableford Salver Competition was played on the Church Course.

Weather conditions were good, despite torrential downpours earlier in the week and the players were very relieved to remain dry throughout the day.

Fiona Lunt outclassed the rest of the field to claim first place with 34 points followed by Beth Elliot in second place with 32 points.

Team competitions also took place on both courses. The Three-Ball-Better-Ball format is always popular with the best two scores to count on each hole from a team of three.

Due to the awful weather conditions, both competitions were played over a reduced number of holes.

The winning team on the Church Course (12 holes) with a score of 44 points was Sarah Sandercock, Lynn Ashcroft and Lorna Harper. Second, with a score of 43 points, was the team of Fiona Lunt, Sue Kingston and Kim Lord.

On the Holywell Course (9 holes) 36 points proved to be the winning total and this was achieved by Sue Walker, Cath Buscombe and Ann Worden.



Former Cornwall county champion golfer Ian Atkinson is back on the podium following his winning score of 38 Stableford points in round 11 of the Harlyn Cup at Trevose.

Mark Woodward finished second after a count-back from John Black with both players on 36 points and Neil Higson was fourth on 35 points.

Atkinson, who twice won the Harlyn Cup in successive seasons during 2001/3 and was a regular member of Cornwall's county golf squad, took time off to play his part in bringing up a small family and succeeded but at the expense of his golf.

This season he is back on the golf course and clearly has quickly recovered his form.

On a day when the course standard scratch was set at 73, Atkinson completed a consistent round in 76 strokes, reaching the turn with five pars, three dropped shots and one birdie for nineteen points, level with Higson and one ahead of Black.

On the homeward stretch he continued to play solidly with six pars and three dropped shots for another nineteen points, taking his total to 38 and a convincing win.

Meanwhile, Higson was having a difficult time and, in spite of a good finish over the last three holes, allowed both Woodward and Black to overtake him.

In round 13 of the Victoria Cup played three days later, Neil Ivamy notched up his second win of the series with 38 Stableford points and in the process confined his brother Ryan to second place on 37 points.

Visitor M Lewis finished third with 36 points and Alex Graham-Brown added another top ten finish to his record with 35 points and fourth place.

In the battle of the brothers, Ryan reached the turn with 20 Stableford points, one ahead of Lewis on 19, with Neil two adrift.

The tide turned on the back nine holes when Neil came home with 20 points for a winning total, whilst Ryan could only manage 17 after a no score on the final hole.

Lewis slipped backwards into third place and after a poor first nine holes, Graham-Brown got going on the home stretch to score 20 points and secure fourth position.

Results: Harlyn Cup, (round 11): 1 Ian Atkinson 38pts, 2 Mark Woodward 36, 3 John Black 36, 4 Neil Higson 35.

Victoria Cup (round 13): 1 Neil Ivamy 38pts, 2 Ryan Ivamy 37, 3 M Lewis 36, 4 Alex Graham-Brown 35.

Sharp Decanters: 1 Nick Lott 33 & Neil Higson 37=70pts; 2 Nick Mathews 32 & Ian Jeffery 38=70; 3 Peter West 35 & J Deakin 32=67; 4 Tony Flood 33 & Terry Meadows 33=66. Placings decided after a count-back.

Jubilee Cup: 1 R Duke 80-9 hcp=71 net; 2 Ian Jeffery 84-12=72; 3 Mike Ellis 79-5=74; 4 Tim Smith 86-10=76. Lowest gross score: Mike Ellis 79.

Bowood Park Golf Club :

Saturday November 17 was the date of Bowood Park's annual Dinner and Awards Ceremony.

The evening was a great opportunity to get dressed up and enjoy an excellent three course dinner along with congratulating the winners of the Club's trophies over the past 12 months.

During the evening members of the Charity Committee presented the annual Charity cheque. This year's chosen charity was The Cornwall Air Ambulance Trust, a unanimous choice.

Throughout regular fund raising efforts coupled with the annual charity golf day, the club raised an impressive total sum of £8,000 and the cheque was presented to the Chief Executive of the Cornwall Air Ambulance Trust, Paula Martin.

A huge thank you goes out to everyone who sponsored holes, donated prizes and gave generously during the year.



Jacks go top of D1 after beating defending champions Hits & Misses 6-0, Andy Hicks top scoring with 81, closely followed by Barry Craft with 77.

Terriers continued their good form with a superb 6-0 win at Vipers, Mark Stevens 82, & Ian Vowler 81 the pick of the bunch this week. Ladybirds beat in-form Hot Shots 4-2 to gain a valuable 4pts, Viv Pacey top scoring with 70. Callington (Jeff Craven 76) beat Foreign Legion (Jon Miles 82) 6-0.

In D2, Flyers go 9-pts clear after a 4-2 win at Millers, Spencer Ham hitting 79 for visitors, while Richard Rogers bagged 77 for Millers. Hobos captured an excellent 6pts at Jammy Dodgers, Sue Salt 69 top scoring for the visitors although Gavin Cole scored 76 for the Dodgers. Londoners move up to second after a comprehensive 6-0 win against S Club 8, Ryan Leslie hitting 71 in that one.

In D3, Optimists secured an excellent 6-0 win at The Bowlers, also capturing the Run-around Cup in the process, Adam Williams top scoring with 68. Burley Booties (Maureen Locke 69) and Dogs Out (Chris Sutton 81) fought out a 3-3 draw. Demons move up to third after winning 4-2 at home against Team Spirit, in-form Gerry Borlase bagging 74.

Meanwhile Legionaires' skipper Jo Elliott hits 95 in D3 to equal Ladies Highest League Score in their 6-0 win against Alley Cats. Leaders' Cornish Rattlers suffered their first real heavy defeat as they went down 6-0 at Barley Belles, Martin Archer the best for Belles with 69. Victorians beat Flat Caps 4-2, Ellen Hiscock top scoring with 77. Half-Cutters (Graeme Jackson 76) bagged themselves 6pts in their 28-pin victory over Dobwalls Dolly's.

Results and tables, Page 97.



In this rearranged game against Hayle, Liskeard, with eight first-team regulars unavailable, started well and within nine minutes points were on the board when James Noel-Johnson kicked a penalty.

Hayle could have been back on terms six minutes later but their penalty shot went wide.

On 20 minutes another infringement by Liskeard led to a second kick at goal and this time Martin Strick was successful.

However this did not unduly worry the home side and in the 32nd minute Noel-Johnson restored the Liskeard advantage with a second penalty, after Hayle were picked up for trying to pull Liskeard's scrum half into a ruck.

Three minutes later the first try of the afternoon was scored after Noel-Johnson made a good break offloading to centre Mark Moody to race through for the touchdown and Noel-Johnson duly added the extras.

At this time the Liskeard pack were dominant and from a catch and drive lineout, in the 40th minute, from eight metres out, a second try was scored, this time by flanker Charlie Brown, one that he deserved for his work-rate, to take the score to 18-3 at the break.

It had been an excellent half for the home side and it was looking good for a positive result.

In the second half the Hayle defence stood firm against everything that Liskeard threw at them and on the hour mark were back in the game through a Neil Mitchell try, converted by Strick, to take the score to 18-10.

On 70 minutes Liskeard were reduced to 14 men, following a yellow card and seven minutes later narrowed the deficit to five points following a penalty by Strick.

At the restart the ball was kicked straight into touch and from the ensuing scrum on halfway Hayle ran the ball and scored a try that was converted by Strick to make the final score 20-18.

This was a result that Liskeard did not deserve as they had outplayed the visiting side for 70 minutes.

Liskeard: M Mander, T Nicholas, S McCarthy, T Blake, C Sobey, C Brown, Y Hutchings, L Elliott, M Charlwood, J Noel-Johnson, B Burchell, M Moody, T Powell, P Regan. Replacements: M Porter, P Mutton, T McLuckie.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters