Login Register

Football: Duchy League review December 11

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 11, 2013

Comments (0)

Knockout Cup


The much delayed KMD Developments KO Cup first round tie between Grampound and Edgcumbe finally took place with the hosts winning 4-1.

Grampound opened the scoring when Peter Thomas cut in from the left and fired into the top corner.

The hosts then gifted the visitors an equaliser after a defensive mistake. Grampound were awarded a penalty for a push ten minutes before half time with Dean Dunn restoring their lead from the spot.

In the second half Derrick Lucas raced away and forced a good save from the keeper, but Thomas followed up to score his second.

In the final ten minutes Lucas robbed and rounded the keeper to score the fourth.

Veryan toppled higher division Stoke Climsland out of the Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup with a fine 6-1 win.

Justin Trebilcock scored a brace with Liam Cope, Ollie Young, Andy Pearce and Simon Matthews completing the hosts' scoring. Alex Mortimore scored the Stoke consolation.

Welcome Inn were without six regular first team players for their tie against St Minver.

After a goalless first half, St Minver upped the pace after the break with Jason Northcott, Steve Wootton and an own goal giving St Minver a 3-0 win.

In another League Cup tie Lifton beat Southgate Seniors 3-1. Gavin Ellacott scored a brace with Ben Sims completing the home scoring. Tom Wyman replied for Southgate.

Premier Division


St Stephen beat St Cleer to move up to third position in the Premier Division. Matt Spry fired the hosts into a third minute lead.

Another close range shot from Charlie Stone doubled the lead in the 16th minute.

St Cleer caught the hosts on the break in the 51st minute for a breakaway goal from Steve Lee and shortly after St Stephen were reduced to ten men early in the second half when Andrew Sincock was sent off.

Division One


Division One leaders North Petherwin suffered a setback losing to a Stuart Harris hat trick in their 3-2 defeat at St Mawgan. Dan Warring and Wayne Downing replied.

With North Petherwin losing, Altarnun made it a three way tie in top spot after beating St Dennis 4-2. They took a 20th minute lead from a well-worked goal finished by Sam Smith, who doubled the lead with a fine individual run and finish and completed his hat trick before half time from a good header.

Altarnun switched off after the break as St Dennis fought back. Dave Cloke headed a goal from a corner and Luke Damerell scored a second goal as St Dennis looked capable of claiming a point.

Mike Deibner settled the home nerves with their fourth goal five minutes from time.

Godolphin Atlantic are the third side at the top after a 5-3 win at St Dominick. Tom Lowden volleyed St Dominick into a second minute lead before the visitors hit back with three goals in seven minutes.

Adam Fieldhouse headed an equaliser with Lee Paxton running through for the second and adding a third shortly after.

St Dominick still hadn't recovered when Ben Howlett hit the visitors' fourth from the edge of the box in the 25th minute. Paxton completed a hat trick from the penalty spot in the 55th minute, but the home side responded with two goals in a minute.

Adam Keith scored the first with Frazer Ferris then converting a penalty. Saints' hopes of clawing any more goals back ended when their keeper was red carded.

Lostwithiel beat Polperro 3-2 despite being down to ten men from the latter stages of the first half.

Dan Carr gave the hosts the lead, but Kane Wilson equalised on his debut before the break. Kevin Morcom was sent off late in the half.

James Hutchings and Ben Wilkinson scored to put them 3-1 up before Lee Collings pulled a goal back in injury time.

Division Two


Gerrans & St Mawes United beat Holywell/Cubert Athletic 2-1 with Charlie Jones scoring the winner in the last minute.

A fine game played in great spirit looked to be heading for a draw after Jones had traded goals with Holywell's Jack Stevenson. Jones who has been in inspired form in recent weeks then struck at the death to give the hosts a good win.

Gunnislake pushed Week St Mary further adrift in Division Two after defeating their rivals 2-1. Kieren Jasper and Matt Avery scored for Gunnislake with Sam Westwood replying.

Foxhole were a little fortunate to defeat Boscastle 2-1. They missed a fifth minute penalty and saw the visiting keeper make a fantastic save as the first half ended goalless.

Boscastle threatened a big surprise when Matthew Pethick put them ahead and it took until the 75th minute for Sam Leaney to claim an equaliser. Jamie Robinson popped up near the end the give the hosts the spoils.

LC Phoenix and AFC Bodmin fought out a goalless draw.

Division Three


North Hill had a setback in their Division Three title ambitions when beaten 3-2 at home by St Neot who continued their good form.

Jason Ridgment scored both Hill goals, but the visitors won with strikes from Tom Cantwell, Adam King and an own goal.

Lanivet Inn produced their best result of the season beating St Stephen reserves 3-1.

Lanivet scored through Leigh Frost, Sam Goodswen and an own goal. St Stephen's reply was also an own goal.

Division Four


Leaders North Petherwin slumped to a first league defeat of the season beaten 5-3 at home by improving Wadebridge Town.

Paul ingle and Jordan Wallis scored a brace apiece for Wadebridge with Ladislav Andrashazi adding their other goal.

North Petherwin replied through Craig Charnock, Sam Stockdale and Tom Lyle.

St Cleer reserves hit back from an awful start to win their clash with Mevagissey 9-4 and go joint top on points. The visitors were 2-0 and 3-1 ahead before St Cleer got going and went into the break leading 4-3. The hosts then ran away with the early stages of the second half racing 8-3 ahead before Mevagissey pulled one back, but St Cleer were to have the final say.

Zak Peel scored four goals and Liam Donaghy added a hat trick with Brad Cole and Dan Bolitho scoring a goal apiece to complete the home tally.

Dan Brady, Eli O'Brien, Ryan Lavery and Mark Cherrie replied.

Division Five


High Street retained their lead at the top of Division Five with a 4-1 defeat of Boscastle reserves. Jake Mansell and Ashley Cannon scored a brace apiece.

St Merryn hit eight without reply against St Newlyn East.

Kevin Allen, having rejoined the club in midweek, scored a hat trick with Luke Worrall adding a brace. Mike Shearer, Lewis Canfield and Craig Allen completed the scoring.

St Minver reserves stay in touch after a 3-1 home success over Tregrehan Mills. Connor Bridgway scored a brace with Jamie Witts completing the home scoring. Tom Addams pulled on back for Mills.

Pelynt reserves won a third successive game beating Standard Inn 4-0. Elliot Keen scored a brace with Dave Allsey and Ryan Oxley hitting a goal apiece.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters