Login Register

Bodmin and district grassroots sport 2, November 9

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: November 09, 2012

Comments (0)

League review


Camelford enjoy their first league victory:

Lankelly Fowey 5, Camelford 21

Unfortunately Camelford's excellent pitch at Parc Tremain was unable to cope with the bombardment of rain and hail over the past week and was waterlogged on Friday morning.

Fortunately for the Ford, Lankelly Fowey were delighted to change the fixture so that they had home advantage.

November 3 2012 will go down in Camelford RFC's history book as the day they finally got a league victory – and in an away fixture too.

Camelford came out of the changing rooms at the Lankelly ground fired up after a good performance at Illogan on the previous Saturday.

Pressure was consistently applied to the home teams line and on 11 minutes "Panto" Ponting crashed over from a well worked ruck for a try. It was great to see that work done on the training ground was being applied in the game.

Jiz Evans converted to give the Ford a well earned early lead.

The question was now "will the Ford be able to capitalise on this lead and build a victory"? For much of this first half it looked as though a stale mate had developed as Camelford's much improved defence snuffed out Lankelly's attacks.

Lankelly's fly half eventually began to create gaps but these were not exploited. Some strong running from the home number 8 also tested the resolve of Camelford on this mud pitch.

At the half time break Camelford had hung on to a scrappy 7 point lead.

With the weather and mud making it difficult for either team to get going it took a further 10 minutes for a score. Lankelly gained a penalty 20 metres from the visitors line. This was swiftly taken and Camelford were deemed not to have retreated the required 10 metres

Given the extra ten Lankelly were allowed to take another quick tap and gained 5 points from the resulting try. They were unable to convert this but their early second half pressure had been rewarded and the Ford had to respond quickly.

This they did with some good deep kicking and a succession of attacking rucks and mauls.

Camelford gained a penalty ten metres out and it was Captain Morgan who took the swift one to dot down and for Evans to convert.

With a 14-5 point lead restored, Camelford went on to use some good rugby in very trying conditions. Better conditions would certainly have helped this game to be a better spectacle but both sides played hard and well in their efforts to gain the victory.

Time and again Lankelly pinned the Ford in their 22 but were not able to use this pressure. Time and again the Ford cleared and countered.

On 64 minutes Camelford created the move of the game for Morgan's second try. A perfectly worked ruck gave a platform for a second drive.

This created a quick ball to Evans standing at fly half who popped a lovely timed pass to Morgan who was running hard and from depth to burts through form 22 metres. Evans converted to give Camelford a 21-5 lead.

Lankelly were not finished off and put the Ford on the back foot again with some well placed and very long kicking.

This caused a little concern for the Ford especially when Morgan was sin binned to the surprise of everyone.

With just under ten minutes to play Camelord's 14 hung on to this lead and made history for the club.

The history makers were: Neil Douch, Carl Culver, Panto Ponting, Adam Scott, Chris Stevens, Danny Risdon, Steve Knight, Tim Williams, Mo Birtwhistle, Jiz Evans, Ash Morgan, Rob Hawken, Robbie Brakes, Chris Clark, Briffa, Matt Smithson, Jamie Belsy and Rich Hawken, with Mo Birtwhistle getting the well deserved Man of the match accolade.


Penryn 27 Bude 12

The first signs of winter may have been in the air at a rain and hail storm lashed Memorial Ground, but there was no change in Bude's fortunes as they went down 27-12 at fellow early season strugglers Penryn last Saturday.

With lowly Tavistock also winning 26-9 at home to Truro, the Seasiders and Honiton need to start picking up points and fast, if they are not to be cast adrift in the basement.

Numerous changes in personnel from the previous week's narrow loss at home to Okehampton didn't help, with veterans Barry Sobey and Barry Lucas being called in to plug the gaps up front and Jamie Chalkey receiving an even later call-up for his first team debut at fly half. A sodden pitch and a greasy ball didn't make life any easier for either side, with handling at times little more than a lottery.

However, The Borough were always that much sharper to the loose ball than the visitors, with their flankers Dan Booth and Jordan Rose outstanding, and until the final half hour when the game was all but gone, Bude's threequarters had little more than scraps to live on. To their credit, the Seasiders did finish strongly, but still not enough to claim a bonus point of any kind.

The first whistle seemed to be a signal for a vicious hail storm to blow in from the Channel and for the first ten minutes neither side could gain any sort of control, as numb fingers and a ball, which resembled a giant slippery orange pip, parted company with regularity. However, on 15 minutes, the hosts took the lead with a penalty goal by fly half Jake Seviour after Bude were caught offside at a ruck.

In the 26th minute Penryn went further ahead, when Booth blasted over from close range from a well worked back row move, after the visitors had been forced to concede a 5 metre scrum under the shadow of their own posts. Seviour added the extras to take his side 10 points clear and then on 36 minutes, after the Seasiders had created a good attacking position of their own, the ball was spilled in contact and off raced Rose, brushing aside a number of poor attempted tackles and in a flash he was in under the posts for the hosts' second try and the simplest of conversion attempts for Seviour.

17-0 down at the break, Bude at least now had the slope in their favour, even if the stiff breeze in their faces negated that to some extent. Nevertheless, it was Penryn who scored next in the 49th minute, as a sweeping long range move, with Booth and Rose again prominent, put right wing Richy Bray in at the corner, to take the deficit beyond 20 points.

It was time for re-enforcements up front, with Richie Dicker and Lucas replacing Sobey and Paul Cholwill and thankfully for the visitors the changes began to bear fruit. In the 56th minute, Penryn were forced to concede a line out deep in their own 22, and from the resulting throw Bude's pack drove low and hard and Dicker was rewarded with the touchdown. The conversion attempt by left wing Dan Pearce slid past the upright, but the referee Ms Pizzi clearly took exception to a less than complimentary remark by a Penryn player and awarded the visitors a penalty from the re-start. The ball was kicked to touch, deep in Penryn territory, but a spilled pass quickly nullified the advantage and the hosts were able to clear their lines

The Seasiders needed to score next if they were to build any momentum, but, with a large slice of luck, Penryn claimed their fourth try of the afternoon and with it the try scoring bonus point, as replacement flanker Dan Laity grounded the ball from close range, with more than a hint of a double movement in the act of scoring, as he slipped on the greasy turf.

With only pride left to play for, Bude attacked strongly and from a sweeping threequarter move left wing Pearce appeared to have scored in the corner, only to be denied by close touchline call by the home touch judge in the act of scoring. However, from a quickly taken tapped penalty following an infringement at the resulting line out, Pearce, showing excellent vision and a pinpoint kick from hand, found right wing Richie Herzog on the far touchline and his tap-back was eagerly snaffled by outside centre Duncan Tout to touch down for a consolation score. It was rare highlight on a gloomy afternoon for the visitors and Pearce added a touch of gloss with a superb touchline conversion as the final whistle blew.

It was all too little too late, but at least the Seasiders do have an immediate chance of gaining revenge as they play host to Penryn this coming Saturday at Bencoolen Meadow in the Second Round of the St Austell Brewery sponsored CRFU Knockout Cup.

Scores: Penryn: Dan Booth, Jordan Rose, Richy Bray, Dan Laity (Tries), Jake Seviour (2 Conversions and 1 Penalty goal). Bude: Richie Dicker, Duncan Tout (Tries) Dan Pearce (Conversion).

Team: Kyle Speare, Richard Herzog, Duncan Tout, Andy Yates, Dan Pearce, Jamie Chalkey, Olly Mounce, Jason Bolt, Paul Cholwill (Barry Lucas), Barry Sobey (Richie Dicker (Paul Cholwill), Luke Dunkin (capt), Will Kingdon, Lewis Statton (Charlie Dicker), Josh Farrar, Joe Wilson.

Referee: Jane Pizzi (Cornwall RRS).


Saltash 35, Falmouth 12

Moorlands Lane greeted travelling Falmouth with wintry conditions, but the rain held off until all but the final ten minutes.

Ashes were on the board within ten minutes with Joe Skinnard taking a quick tap penalty and popping to Tom Rixson to punch through the Falmouth defence to offload to a stampeding loosehead Neil Grose to power through the fullback and sprint the remaining 25 metres to the line.

Max Venebles duly converting to make it 7-0.

Straight from the kick-off Falmouth pressured the Ashes in midfield, but an eventual mistake saw Ashes regain the ball, for them to stretch the defence right and then left to see Will Morten gas the defence to make the score 12-0.

The teams exchanged blows for a further ten minutes before Falmouth were penalised twice in front of their posts for holding onto the ball on the floor.

Falmouth then resorted to kicking over the Ashes defence only to see Skinnard step out wide between 12 and 13 and draw the fullback to put Ryan Cruickshanks in wide out right to make it 25-0 at half-time.

The second half saw Falmouth use their maul to greater effect and caused Ashes a few issues in and around their 22. Ashes kept counter attacking and were rewarded with a further Max Venables penalty.

Falmouth were finally rewarded with a penalty try as Ashes were unable to prevent a well organised mauling pack, 28-7.

Ashes struck back almost immediately with some quick ruck ball, once again dragging the defence one way and then the next to release Will Morten wide out on the left. With a fine conversion, the score 35-7.

With the rain starting to hammer down, Falmouth won a line out close to the Ashes line, and a well organised maul saw them power over the line, hooker Olly Church claiming the touch down.

With Thomas Buller missing the conversion, it was left to Ashes to control the ball and run down the clock.

Pirates Amateurs 30, Liskeard-Looe 5:

Liskeard started slowly and in the 14th minute a defensive mistake let in a try, scored by wing Liam Walsh.

This was converted by fly half Rhys Brownfield and in the 24th minute a second try was conceded when a clearance kick was gathered by Pirates and run back with Ryan Forrester going over the whitewash.

In the 34th minute flanker Yestin Hutchings (injured) was replaced by player coach Mark Goldsmith and a minute later a player from each side was yellow carded and in the 36th minute the Lions were reduced to 13 players when Mark Goldsmith was also sin-binned.

In a long period of stoppage time (ten minutes, that saw both teams restored to full complement) a second defensive error by Liskeard saw a third try, this time by Mat O'Leary, for Pirates Amateurs that took the score to 17-0 at the break.

A few minutes into the 2nd half the Lions conceded a kickable penalty that was taken by Brownfield to increase the lead.

In the 25th minute with Liskead at last pressing the Pirates line number 8 Gareth Cooke picked up at the base of a 5 metre scrum, with the ball going to wing Brad Burchell, to score an unconverted try in the corner.

From the restart Liskeard put the ball into touch, just outside their 22, with the home side securing their own ball; this went to centre Kieran Brownfield who kicked a snap drop goal to again increase their lead.

From the restart Pirates scored their bonus point try, although the referee missed a forward pass in the move, by Mat O'Leary; this was also converted by Rhys Brownfield to take the final score to 30-5.

Not a good day "at the office" for the Lions but better news did come from Bodmin, where Liskeard 2nd's were playing in the CRFU merit league, winning 12-5 in what was reported to be a good game of rugby.

Liskeard-Looe: Mike Mander, Tristan Nicholas, Phil Morford, Chris Sobey, Tom Blake, Charlie Brown, Yestin Hutchings, Gareth Cooke, Lewis Elliott, James Noel-Johnson, Brad Burchell, Mark Moody, Jamie Townsend, Tony Powell, Kieran Underhill. Reps: Mark Goldsmith, Dan Goodman, James Collins.

Tomorrow there is no game for Liskeard 1st XV, as it's a non-league weekend; but the 2nds are hosting Tavistock 2nds in the second round of Plymouth Combination's Lockie Cup competition and this has a 2.30 kick-off.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters