Login Register

Bodmin beaten by Villa

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: November 09, 2012

Comments (0)

Bodmin 0, Elburton V 1

BODMIN Town's 37-match unbeaten league record came to an end at Priory Park on Wednesday night in a stormy match against Elburton Villa, writes Kevin Marriott.

A controversial Sam Stevens goal three minutes before time, when the striker looked five yards offside, was enough to defeat the champions, whose last league defeat was at Launceston on October 29 2011.

Bodmin had midfield man Shane Krac sent off for stamping on Tom Barwell just before half-time, leaving them to play the second half with ten men.

The nearest they came to salvaging a point was in the fourth minute of stoppage time when the unmarked Chris Luxton saw his low shot kept out by the leg of Elburton keeper Simon May.

But that would have been harsh on Elburton, who should have put the game beyond reach well before then, with Jack Alexander missing two golden opportunities.

Levi Landricombe also had a 39th minute penalty brilliantly saved by Kevin Miller.

Referee Chris Stevens was, unfortunately, the centre of attention. Officiating at his second game at Priory Park in five days, Mr Stevens booked nine players as well as showing Krac red.

St Austell 2, Saltash U 1

ROSS Saint's 90th minute penalty miss capped a miserable evening at Poltair Park on Wednesday night in a game that also saw Ashes' manager Stuart Dudley sent to the stands, writes Lee Hall.

Dan Nancarrow's Lillywhites were excellent value for their win, but they were extremely fortunate to hang on for the three points after Saint blazed his spot kick over the bar.

Defender Martin Giles headed St Austell into a 20th minute lead, and it got worse for Saltash when Dudley was sent off by referee Jamie McLeod after an on the pitch altercation with Giles.

Chris Phillips doubled St Austell's lead in the 41st minute to leave Saltash well and truly rattled.

But after the visitors pulled a goal back through substitute Matt Cusack in the 58th minute, they were presented with a golden opportunity to equalise at the death when McLeod pointed to the spot after Chris Reski's foul on Cusack.

However, Saint wasted the chance in emphatic fashion, much to the relief of home fans.

Elsewhere on Wednesday night, Wadebridge Town were 7-0 winners over Mousehole at Bodieve Park in the Cornwall Charity Cup – and they had seven different scorers.

In the other Charity Cup tie of the evening, Porthleven beat Hayle 3-2. The draw for the next round is due to be made today.

On Tuesday night, Launceston beat Liverton 3-1 at Pennygillam to open up a five point lead at the top of the premier division. Sam Davey was among the scorers.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters