Login Register

Bodmin & district grassroots sport, November 23

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: November 23, 2012

  • RIO DREAM: Jade Farrington training at Crunch Gym in Launceston.

Comments (0)



A Launceston powerlifter is seeking sponsors to help her qualify for the 2016 Paralympics after impressing the coach at a national talent assessment day.

Jade Farrington, 26, travelled to the British Weight Lifting headquarters in Leeds where her bench pressing ability was tested to see if she had the potential to make it to the games in Rio.

Jade said: "It feels amazing to have passed the assessment and to be asked to train with some of Britain's best coaches and athletes in pursuit of a place at the next Paralympics.

"I'll now be going up to Leeds for regular training camps and competing across the country in an attempt to qualify in four years' time.

"I'm hoping to gain the backing of companies or organisations which may be interested in sponsoring my travel, training or competition fees as there is currently no financial assistance available and the costs will run into thousands of pounds."

Powerlifting is a Paralympic-only event where athletes compete at the bench press, while the Olympic discipline of weightlifting includes the snatch and the clean and jerk. Powerlifters are separated by weight category only and not by type of disability as in many other sports.

Jade – who also rows for Cotehele Quay Gig Club – has a prosthetic left femur following bone cancer aged 9. She began weight training at Launceston's Crunch Gym in July 2010.

Gym owners Mark and Merwyn Quick said: "We really admire the effort and determination Jade has put into her training. She is an inspiration to those who train around her, and people often make positive comments on her physique and her disciplined training regime.

"We are so proud that she has been spotted for the Paralympic trials as she is true inspiration to others."

As well as training at Crunch, Jade also attends Plymouth Performance Gym to build up her leg strength under head instructor Will Badenoch. He was impressed with her bench press and suggested she take up powerlifting.

Jade said: "Thank you to Will, Mark and Merwyn and my friends and family who have been incredibly supportive. They've helped me get this far and I know they'll be cheering me on the rest of the way."

To discuss sponsorship opportunities, email jade.farrington@gmail.com



Bodmin A hosted Penzance A at the Dragon Centre at on Saturday. Penzance were in second place in the Davis Wood, South West 1 division, with Bodmin, four places lower.

Penzance started well, having much of the ball in the firstten minutes. Bodmin, being slow starters, then got back into the game, with the centre midfield duo of Paul Rowe and Nathan Davis taking charge.

After a period of Bodmin pressure, the first goal finally arrived in the 21st minute with James Johnson finishing off a good move, closely followed two minutes later with another Johnson goal.

By this time the Penzance team were starting to argue among themselves and with the Bodmin defence back to full strength, with the return of Tim Geatches at right back and Gary Bettison at left back, any Penzance attack was soon neutralised.

It was only a matter of time before Bodmin scored, this time it was Kirk Rose getting his first of the season after being very close in previous games.

The second half started much as before with James Johnson getting his third after a great move between Davis, Rowe, Ross Gibson, and Ed Varcoe, which finished off with Johnson tapping the ball in on his reverse stick.

The final goal arrived in the 57th minute with Ed Varcoe scoring his first for the second team, this was richly deserved as he had been a thorn in the Penzance side all game with his tireless running and quick tackling.

The game finished 5-0 to Bodmin A and continues their 100 per-cent home record.



Bude 14 St Austell 5

For anyone glancing at the league table, there was only one outcome likely from this match, a comfortable victory for the visitors St Austell.

Having swept all before them, with an impeccable 100 per-cent record and standing ten points clear of second-placed Bideford, Saints arrived at Bencoolen Meadow last Saturday in confident mood, whilst Bude, with a solitary victory in the league and only one point above basement club Honiton, damage limitation was the most likely option.

From the first whistle it was clear that the home side meant business. They had trained well during the week, looked focused and sharp and within two minutes almost took an early lead as a snap dropped goal attempt by fly half Dan Pearce slid just wide of the right hand post.

However, with both sides' defences on top and try scoring opportunities at a premium, it was left to the boots of Pearce and St Austell's scrum half Matt Shepherd to try to break the deadlock from penalty awards, but neither could find their range in the opening half and at the break it was all square, with all to play for.

With the elements now in their favour and playing towards their favoured clubhouse end, it was vital that Bude made a good start to the second half, to build on their good work of the opening period.

However, the revitalising half time oranges appeared to do the reverse of that intended, as the visitors broke from deep, barely two minutes into the half and brushing aside some pretty poor tackling, inside centre Ian Venner burst his way to the line for the opening score for the visitors.

Shepherd's off day with the boot continued, as his conversion attempt narrowly missed the target, but Saints' travelling supporters settled down for more of the same and an anticipated victory.

Meanwhile, the Seasiders had other ideas and with player-coach Adam Black now on the field as a half time replacement for Barry Sobey in the front row, his first appearance since breaking an arm back in September and with No 8 James Comber showing up prominently in the loose, alongside young tyros Freddie Saxton and Richie Herzog, things were beginning to get tasty.

The hosts hit back strongly, with St Austell's defence at full stretch at times, but still their line held. Nevertheless, on 58 minutes, following yet another penalty award, Bude's pack drove a maul some 15 metres or so and hooker Paul Cholwill dotted down for the equalising score under a welter of bodies

Pearce converted smartly and it was game on, as the Meadow faithful sniffed an upset.

On the hour mark, the referee Mr Connabeer finally lost patience with the visitors' ever mounting penalty count and flanker Paul Winterbottom departed for ten minutes on the sidelines for persistent infringements.

Shortly afterwards they were reduced to 13 men, as scrum half Shepherd attempted to kick the ball out of an attacking scrum deep in his own 22 and saw yellow for his troubles.

From the resulting penalty, Pearce sharply spotted an opening in the Saints' depleted backline and in a flash he was over in the corner for his side's second try.

A superbly judged conversion by the fly half from the touchline followed and against all the odds, Bude were two scores clear.

This was a time for clear heads, the visitors were rattled, they were chasing the game for the first time in the league all season and with a clear numerical advantage the Seasiders should have gone for the jugular.

Instead, they got dragged into some pointless niggle up front and Herzog was dispatched to the cooler for ten minutes, for trampling at a ruck.

Worse was to follow on 74 minutes, when loosehead prop Jason Bolt was adjudged to have thrown a punch, as he sought to clear himself from a maul of players and was shown a straight red card.

Thankfully, after 15 minutes of mayhem when the young referee struggled to keep a lid on proceedings, things finally cooled, but with the visitors back to a full complement and Bude now shorthanded, was there one final twist in the plot?

Back came Sobey to shore up the front row, with inside centre Andy Yates having to make way, leaving the hosts short outside and Saints scented blood.

They hammered away, with Shepherd and his half back partner Andy Ashwin committed to Plan A. However, for the second week in succession, cussed became Bude's watchword as they fought valiantly to keep their line intact.

Right wing Olly Denford almost put the tie beyond doubt, as he gleefully intercepted a telegraphed pass by the visitors in midfield, but he was hauled down in sight of the try line and St Austell breathed again.

The game went into overtime, not surprising with all the earlier stoppages and in the 83rd minute, following a sustained period of pressure, right wing Alex Welland looked about to score in the corner, but a fantastic gang tackle by scrum half Olly Mounce and left wing Kyle Speare smashed him into touch and Bude were able to clear their lines.

Tomorrow, it's a short trip across the county border, with Tavistock providing the opposition.

With only one point separating the sides at the wrong end of the table, this is a vital game for both clubs, but with two successive victories under their belts, Bude can travel with rising confidence after their early season problems.

Hayle 22, Saltash 38:

Hayle slipped to their fourth league defeat of the season as the third placed Ashes proved too strong for the battling Lions at the Memorial Park.

The game started with both sides wanting to play good open rugby, but it was Saltash who opened the scoring with a try from centre Jason Carroll in front of the posts which was converted by Max Venables.

Hayle responded straight away with a penalty from Adam Strick, only for a breakaway try from fly half Joe Skinnard to stretch the visitors' lead.

However, on 21 minutes Strick converted another penalty to make the score 14-6 and five minutes later Tony Matthews scored out wide following an outstanding piece of wing play from Rob Goodman.

Saltash were reduced to 14 players when Carroll took a late hit against Paul Lello's chip over the top, and after 35 minutes Strick levelled the scores with another penalty, before giving his side the lead three minutes later with another penalty, making the half-time score 17-14.

But straight from the restart Saltash levelled the scores with a kick from Venables, and with Hayle down to 13 players Saltash took advantage with a converted try by Skinnard.

After 70 minutes, following some excellent scrummaging Lello cut though to score for the home side, but Strick this time missed an easier conversion than his previous kicks.

With ten minutes to go Venables went over for a try in front of the posts which was converted by the Saltash fly half. Then a deliberate knock on by Hayle gave the visitors a penalty try.

Saltash ran out winners but had Skinnard and Venables to thank as they proved to be the deciding factors in what was a close fought game.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters