Login Register

Duchy League football review, February 20

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 20, 2013

  • SPOT OF BOTHER: Gorran's Mike Brennan sends a last minute penalty wide as St Teath keeper Lee Griffin prepares to dive to his left. But the game was already beyond Gorran as St Teath sprung a surprise by beating the promotion hopefuls 6-2. by David Flower.

Comments (0)

Premier Division


Premier Division leaders Saltash United suffered a stunning 4-0 home defeat by St Newlyn East and now only stay at the top on goal difference.

On a run of six successive wins, the hosts were hit by a brace apiece from Ryan Polmounter and Liam Dent. St Newlyn East, after a poor start to the season, are now up to fourth place.

AFC St Austell move level after beating Calstock 4-1. Darren Roose rounded the keeper to give them a first half lead. Phil Hutchings doubled the advantage from the penalty spot after the interval and a Roose tap in had then well ahead.

Calstock battled and got a goal back before being sunk by a Dan Lean half volley.

Fowey United still have high hopes of retaining their crown. Josh Frampton scored a brace in an emphatic 6-1 victory over Torpoint Athletic.

Jamie Martin, Rory Barnicle, Anthony Hillman and Sam Marchant completed the home scoring with Tom Rothwell replying.

Mevagissey came from three goals down to secure a home draw with St Cleer, but see it as two points dropped in their title challenge.

James Colwill scored a brace for the visitors with Mevagissey then putting through their own net with 30 minutes on the clock, but the hosts were given a lifeline before half time when Alex Isted returned the compliment with an own goal.

The second half was evenly fought, but Richard James reduced the deficit to one goal, and then a storming header from Ben Rothwell gave Mevagissey a point.

St Columb Major's poor second part of the season continued with a 6-3 home defeat to Bodmin Saints.

Their defence was a comedy of errors and gifted Dave Crawford an opening goal after three minutes. Another mistake on 17 minutes gave Crawford a second.

Major clawed a goal back through Ollie Collins only to make another mistake three minutes before the break and gift Crawford his hat trick.

The Saints striker couldn't believe his luck as on the stroke of half time as the defence again parted to give him a fourth goal.

Major came storming out of the blocks at the start of the second half. They pulled one back through Ashley Bicknell after 46 minutes and were right back in the game when after a lovely move Grant Russell pulled it back to 4-3 with more than 20 minutes to go.

The game was settled when more defensive errors gave Simon Harper a goal after 79 minutes and Kris Kruszewski wrapped things up five minutes from time.

As a result of the wet winter Probus played their first match since November 30 and were well short of match practice as they handed St Mawgan a relegation lifeline.

St Mawgan won 5-1 with Chris Leach and Sean Lambart scoring a goal apiece. Probus put through their own goal to complete the hosts' scoring, but pulled one back through Paul Cox.

Division One


Division One table toppers Polperro were held to a 2-2 draw at Week St Mary. Adam Taylor and Colin Wilson scored the visitors' goals, but efforts from Steve Short and Rob Pearce gave Week a fine point in their battle against relegation. Grampound had most of the game against Altarnun but were profligate in front of goal and also faced by a fine goalkeeping performance.

The first half ended goalless on a very sticky and difficult surface. The second half was going along the same lines with fines saves being made, but with ten minutes to go Lee Budge hit a shot from the edge of the area.

The keeper got a hand on the ball, but it squirmed out of his hands over the line. Grampound could have had a second when Tom Peers was brought down in the box, but Max Varnell saw his penalty saved. This led to a dodgy last five minutes with Grampound hanging on.

Pelynt lost their important promotion match with Godolphin Atlantic 4-2. Tom Marjeram and Fred Carter scored the home goals, but strikes from Josh Fearon, Dom Roberts and a Ben Colquhoun brace gave Godolphin the spoils.

Pensilva look menacing with a lot of games in hand of those above them. Jon Filbey and Zak Peel scored in a 2-1 win at Maker with Rame to enhance their title hopes. Rob Edwards replied for Maker.

Division Two


Lanreath edged closer to the drop in Division Two with a 6-0 home defeat by title chasing North Petherwin.

Callum Reeve scored a brace with Tom Foulds, Ryan Julian, Dan Warring and Simon Oliver completing the rout.

Padstow United stay four points clear after a below strength squad beat Gerrans & St Mawes 2-0. Jake Charles and Sean Blows scored the goals.

Queens Rangers needed something out of their home game with Boscastle so a 4-3 loss edges them closer to the drop.

Casey Laity, Ben Hawken and Jamie Seery scored for Rangers with Nathan Gessex, Andy Terry, Dan Hambly and Martin Seldon scoring for Boscastle.

Foxhole got off to the best possible start in their local derby at Sticker and with the home defence going missing Jamie Robinson lobbed the keeper after just a minute's play.

The first half was competitive and fairly evenly balanced with both sides trying to play football. Sticker equalised near the end of the half when good work by Alex Keast allowed Matt Lloyd to score.

With the wind Sticker had more of the opening exchanges after the break and the pressure told with Foxhole conceding a penalty from which Bradley Hoskin scored.

Gary Bone hammered home number three from a direct free kick. Sticker were now in control and added further goals from Ben Rosevear with a brace.

Foxhole doubled their tally with a penalty in the last minute as Sticker ran out 5-2 winners.

AFC Bodmin are up to third after goals from Mike Horne and Jonny Summerfield gave them a 2-0 win over St Breward.

Lostwithiel played their first home match in a long time and celebrated with a 6-1 victory over Premier Sixes.

James Hutchings and Bayley Phillips put the hosts two up, but Martyn Probert pulled one back before the break. Kevin Morcom increased the home lead with Phillips adding his second and Hutchings scoring twice more to complete his hat trick.

Division Three


Callington Town finally won their first league game of the season in Division Three with a surprise 2-1 victory over Welcome Inn.

Jordan Swinney and debut boy Kieran Prescott scored their goals with Tom Pickering replying.

Roche drop to the bottom after losing 3-0 at home to Delabole United. Dave Barrett, Ashley Morris and an own goal gave the visitors their win.

Stoke Climsland saw an end to any promotion chance after being beaten 3-1 at home by St Stephen. Tom Cleveland scored for Stoke, but the visitors won through with goals from James Hawken, James Allen and Dean Yelland.

Division Four


Gunnislake reserves have brought in some older heads to steady the ship after their young players struggled at the start of the season.

A fine 2-0 win over Grampound reserves will do a great deal to ensure Division Four safety. Mark Warwick and Alex Caers found the target.

Pensilva reserves were two up at home to Mevagissey reserves after 15 minutes with Matt Carter-Brown and Nathan Deighton firing home.

Pensilva then missed a couple of one-on-one chances with the keeper, which possibly were the turning point of the game as Mevagissey fought back to equalise before half time.

Matt Mills scored the first with Dan Brady levelling the game. The second half saw two Eli O'Brien goals give Mevagissey a 4-2 win.

St Teath earned a very welcome victory with a surprise 6-2 defeat of promotion hopefuls Gorran.

Jake Williams scored a brace with Kevin Kendall, Ben French, Darren Edwards and Matt Mountain completing their tally. Sam Burr and Mike Brennan replied for Gorran.

Tintagel played well to upset second placed St Neot 3-1. Shaun Keeble was again the difference with a brace and Adam Wight added their other goal. St Neot's own ace marksman Adam Gregory replied.

North Hill saw their position at the top strengthened as goals from Talisker Donahue, Jason Ridgment and Chris Rockell gave them a 3-0 win at St Cleer reserves.

Division Five


Veryan took a gigantic step towards the Division Five title beating their closest challengers St Columb Major reserves 1-0 in a tightly fought encounter.

Veryan just deserved the points, the only goal coming from a Bobby Lee Johns penalty five minutes into the second half.

North Petherwin reserves saw their promotion hopes slip with a heavy 5-1 home defeat to Southgate Seniors.

Tom Wyman scored a brace for the visitors with Kevin Hatch, Nathan Farrer and Trevor Manning completing their scoring. Andi Sleeman scored the hosts' consolation.

The battle of the bottom two went to St Newlyn East reserves who broke their duck for the season in beating Duke of Cornwall 5-3.

Chris Symons scored a brace with Adam Williams, Ross Emery and Josh Cook adding further goals. Leon Trudgeon, Sean Baron and Mark Nagle were the Duke scorers.

St Minver reserves and St Mawgan reserves drew 1-1. Ryan Butler of St Minver traded goals with Lee Bryant.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters