Login Register

Bodmin & district grassroots - November 16

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: November 16, 2012

  • St Enodoc Golf Club ladies' captain Lynn Ashcroft and new vice-captain Jax Buse.

  • FOOTBALL: Action from the Duchy League second division on Saturday as Aaron Washer (3) and Nick Lawson of Boscastle beat the Gerrans defender in this heading duel but the ball goes wide. Match report, see Page 103. by David Flower.

  • RUGBY: St Austell scrum half Matt Shepherd tries to catch Wadebridge Camels skipper Sam Stone before he scores a try in Saturday's Cornwall Cup quarter-final. by Adrian Langdon.

Comments (0)


Bodmin 2nds 31, Old Techs 5:

Bodmin 2nds took on Devon Two side Old Techs on Saturday with the Clifden Park side running out convincing winners.

Bodmin started brightly but found themselves falling behind after a strong scrum from Old Techs on the Bodmin 5 metre line, set up a good platform for the number 8 to pick up and charge over the try line. The conversion was missed.

Bodmin responded well though and scored shortly after with Seb Williams wrestling his way past a couple of tacklers to reach the line. Dan Pooley adding the extras for a 7-5 lead.

A quick tap penalty taken on the Old Techs 22 by second row Macauley Read minutes later saw him bust through an unsuspecting defence and run in to stretch Bodmin's lead and take a 12-5 advantage into half time.

With the second half underway Bodmin continued to apply pressure to their Plymouth based opposition and were rewarded when captain Ollie Brooks finished off a number of tight phases to put the scores at 17-5.

Just moments later Bodmin should have increased their lead further but centre Dave Nootle was adjudged to have stepped on the dead ball line before grounding the ball and the try was subsequently disallowed.

That seemed to invigorate Nootle who alongside prop Sam Pollard started to really penetrate the Old Techs defence with some hard running. Almost inevitably Bodmin added another try as replacement back rower Ashley Haimes went over before a superb running line from Brooks saw him glide through the tiring defence and run in under the posts. Pooley converting both tries to leave the game at 31-5.

Tomorrow Bodmin 2nds travel to Newquay 2nds in the Merit Table while Bodmin 1sts entertain Camborne School of Mines at Clifden Park in a first versus second Cornwall Two clash. Both games kick off at 2.30pm.

Bodmin 2nds: Anthony, Williams, Pollard, Read, Yeatman, N Cullip, Couldrey, Brooks (c), Hawken, Pooley, Saunter, Burden, Nootle, Shaw, Sammels. Replacements: B Mayes, Haimes, Illsley, M Trevarthen.

Scorers: Brooks (2), Williams, Read, Haimes.

Man of the Match: Sam Pollard.



Rivercroft are league leaders on their own, albeit by a single point, but were pushed the full distance by Caradon Inn, before Michelle Davis won the last point of the match to give them a victory by the narrowest of margins.

White Hart B have moved up into second spot on the back of an 11-0 whitewash at Liberal Club B, aided by a checkout of 135 from Mike Cook.

Alan Hoare was on target with an outshot of 100 as Butchers Arms won, restricting Cornish Ivy B to just a single point while Marquee Bar returned from Cheesewring with a 9-2 victory.

Con Club defeated East Taphouse 8-3 while Cornish Ivy A and White Hart A were both 7-4 winners against Eliot Arms and White Hart A respectively.

White Hart's Brian Jefford recorded the week's only maximum 180 while Liberal Club's Matt Prinn took out a finish of 105.


Railway A returned to the top of the table after beating former leaders White Hart by the narrowest of margins, inspired by a good performance from Sara Treeby (100x5).

White Hart now drop down to second spot and are persued by Railway B who made it seven wins on the bounce when beating The Chuffers 5-2.

Sportsmans were the week's biggest winners when restricting Butchers Arms to a single point while Donna Fisher (100x4) caught the eye in The Archers 4-3 defeat of Manor House.

Also winning by the odd game of seven were Cheesewring and Market Inn against Ivy Belles and East Taphouse respectively.


Rally Club maintained their perfect start to the campaign with an 8-3 home victory over Marquee Bar, aided by a checkout of 100 from Matt Yorke to move within five points of the leaders with a match in hand.

The previously top two placed teams fought out a well contested fixture with tabletoppers Sportsmans winning 6-5 to send Rivercroft down into third spot.

Railway A defeated their stablemates Railway B 10-1 with Tina Prinn saving the whitewash with a good singles victory over Marcus Julian.

White Hart are still looking to open their account after they were beaten 7-4 at Callington Cricket Club while East Taphouse were on the wrong end of an 8-3 scoreline at Halfway.



St Enodoc's Ladies' section held their annual meeting last week where the winners of the trophies were presented with their silverware.

The main business of the day was the elections for the committee and as a result Lynn Ashcroft has taken over as ladies' captain from Penny Moon and at the same time Jax Buse has come into office as vice-vaptain. There are now plenty of new faces on the committee with the election of Barbara Graham, Cath Buscombe, Annie Hawkey and Annie Cruse.


A field of 45 players competed at St Enodoc for the Rowe Cup .

Conditions were very tough to score well in on the Saturday with a strong cold wind blowing.

Players who were able to play both rounds in this eclectic competition found conditions more favourable for scoring with almost all the top finishers doing the damage during the Sunday round.

Julian Darnell took the Rowe Cup with an excellent score of +6 against the course followed closely by Andy Beare on +4, Kevin Parker rounded out the top three with a score of +1.

The first round of the Cory Cup was scheduled to be played on the November 3, although this was changed to a Sweep Stableford to allow for the Frank Wills team being in second round action.

Kevin Parker clearly enjoyed the conditions on the day after returning a score of 42 points despite having two blobs during the round.

Tailing a long way back in second place despite a good score of 37 points was John Rowe who was followed by Dave Pooley in third place with 36 points.


Mick Jones eased past Trevor Ashton on count-back to win round 8 of the Harlyn Cup at Trevose, after both players tied on 40 Stableford points. Richard Leigh finished third on 38 points with Richard Steer in fourth place on 37.

Leigh had the best start to his round and by the fourth he led by two points. But Ashton, after a slow start, levelled with Leigh at the sixth and remained so at the turn with both players on 21 points.

Steer, who also had a bad start, recovered with a birdie on the fourth and an eagle three on the ninth, was one adrift with 20 points and Jones was two back.

Starting for home, Leigh hit the buffers and did not score on the tenth and eleventh holes. Ashton however, was well into his stride and led by three points at the twelfth.

His lead was cut to two at the next hole when Jones birdied and it was down to one as Jones used his handicap on the fourteenth.

Meanwhile, Leigh picked up speed again and was level with Ashton by the sixteenth. Steer was three behind but Jones was one clear and in the lead.

With two holes to go Ashton birdied the difficult seventeenth hole to go one ahead of Jones and three clear of Leigh and Steer, who also birdied the seventeenth.

All four of them dropped a stroke on the eighteenth and the handicap allowance came into play for Jones, who drew level with Ashton, and Leigh, who drew one ahead of Steer to secure third place.

The day's prize went to Jones after a count-back, with him scoring 21 points over the last nine holes in comparison with Ashton who scored 19.

Harlyn Cup, round 8: 1. Mick Jones 40pts; 2 Trevor Ashton 40; 3 Richard Leigh 38; 4 Richard Steer 37.

Victoria Cup, round 10: 1 Martin Borg 38pts; 2 Steve Mathews 34; 3 Mike Hollis 34; 4 Steve Cox 34.


Hayle 2nds 50, Camelford Development 0

Although a heavy defeat this game was testimony to the growth of the Camelford Rugby Club. With ever increasing numbers wanting to play for the Ford, the club was able to organise this friendly game as a development game for some of their new and inexperienced players.

The Ford rested eight of their normal squad. Hayle were keen to oblige and showed some excellent rugby and a great spirit in this venture.

Camelford gave the honour of captaincy on the day to the consistent and committed Carl Culver, at hooker, who led from the front throughout.

Hayle's superb three-quarters did the damage on their large pitch running in some wonderful tries and kicking strategically, but the Camelford lads never dropped their levels of commitment.

The first score came after eight minutes when Camelford were put under pressure from a charged down clearance kick. Hayle used the resulting uncontested scrum to work a back row move to score in the corner. The conversion was brilliantly slotted only a meter from the touch line.

From the restart Hayle really showed the ability they possessed in their backs. Their powerful No 8 took the ball on and into the Camelford half, setting up a good attacking ruck.

The ball was spun wide and kicked deep by the fly half for the Hayle No 15 to beat Ford's defenders and touch down out wide. Another exceptional conversion gave the home team a 14-0 lead.

Camelford rallied and snuffed out attack after attack and created a number of excellent rucks. Unfortunately they were thwarted in their efforts by a well organised and enthusiastic Hayle side.

Hayle gained another try, against the run of play, after 25 minutes. The ball was lost in contact by Camelford and swift hands gave the talented Hayle centre space centimetres outside his own 22.

He dodged tackle after tackle to score a sensational try under the away team's posts. Surprisingly the conversion was not made.

Once again Camelford pushed Hayle back but on 38 minutes the powerful home side used a good forward move to release their backs to create another break and try which was converted.

The half time score was 26-0 and Camelford needed to be more competitive in the contact areas for the second period.

Hayle capitalised on the fact that they did not have a competitive front row and used the uncontested scrums to create a highly effective attacking platform.

The occasional missed tackle by the Development squad also gifted Hayle a couple of easy tries. On 50 minutes this was the case as Hayle's No 8 was allowed to tip toe his way from Camelford's 22 and again the extras were added by Hayle's highly competent kicker.

Camelford continued to exert pressure on the Hayle line and it became a game where Hayle took advantage of break downs, running in 3 more excellent tries, one of which was converted.

This left a final score of 50-0, but the Camelford new boys can be proud of themselves for the real determination and effort they had shown on this chilly and showery afternoon.

This was another great step forward for this improving North Cornwall outfit, who can now regularly call on over 20 players who are keen to wear the black, red and green of Camelford RFC.

The game means there is now some serious competition for places in the Camelford squad and has given the club yet another springboard for development. Many positives were gained in defeat and many areas for the coaches to work on were highlighted. This was a highly productive afternoon, regardless of the result.

Thanks must go to Hayle for hosting Camelford and for understanding the need for the club to blood new players.



Leaders Terriers, and Kath Nash in particular, kept up their excellent start to the season in the week six games with a 4-2 win over Foreign Legion, Kath hitting another impressive 84.

Second-placed Jacks lost 6-0 at home against Bulldogs, Les Champion top scoring for the visitors with 73. Rebels took all 6-pts at Crickets, Sylvan Pook top scoring with 75, Bob Rendle not far behind though with 73.

Vipers were yet again impressive scorers, they amassed 569 pins in their 6-0 destruction of Hits & Missses, Dan Hassam the pick of the bunch with 92.

Hot Shots gained an excellent 6-0 win at Sandpipers, Marc Dunster rattling in 90 there.

Division 2 pacesetters' Flyers continued their push to return to D1, they beat Hilltops 6-0, Pete Bickle hitting 83. Colleen Tuck was in fine form for Millers, she hit 93 in her team's 4-2 win over Ditchers.

Londoners good run came to an end as they lost 6-0 and the Run-around Cup at home against Ramblers. Jammy Dodgers won 6-0 at Marketeers, John Brice & Sarah Steed both hitting 73.

Tri-Ards moved up to second after a 6-0 victory over S Club 8, Terry Jeffery 74, and Jill Sumbler 70 the best for Tri-Ards.

There are new leaders in D3 as The Bowlers beat Team Spirit 4-2, Derek Masefield top scoring with 78.

Optimists gained a very useful 6-0 against Dogs Out as it moves them up to second, Gary Stone top scoring with 70. Cast-Offs won by the same margin at Seccombes, Ian Penhaligan hitting a fine 81 in that one.

Meanwhile in D3, runaway leaders Cornish Rattlers won 6-0 yet again, this week at the expense of Liberators, Jess Gilbert continuing her fine form with 75.

Legionaires (Jo Elliott 69) beat Barley Belles 4-2 in the only other result in.

Results and tables, see Digest, Pages 100 and 101.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters