Login Register

Bodmin into last eight as Lions roar on

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: March 12, 2014

Comments (0)

Bodmin 33 Camelford 5

BODMIN are through to the quarter-finals of the Cornwall Clubs' Cup after beating Camelford at Clifden Park in the penultimate Group D game on Saturday.

Bodmin made wholesale changes from the week before, with only Paul Carter and captain for the day Scott Helgesen remaining in the starting line-up. Carter slotted into the fly half role from outside centre, and Helgesen moved to full back from scrum half.

The home side dominated the early exchanges before flanker Jamie Mayes scooped up a loose ball and burst through a couple of tackles to dive into the corner.

From thereon in Bodmin struggled to turn their dominance of possession and territory into points. Camelford rarely made any advance into their hosts' half but Bodmin were guilty of wasting numerous chances.

When Bodmin eventually managed to shift the ball into the wider channels, they created a simple overlap for winger Morgan Jope to cruise to the try line and under the posts from 25 metres out. Carter adding the simple conversion for a 12-0 lead.

Bodmin came out for the second half and again started brightly as they worked their way deep into the Camelford 22. A simple switch from good ruck ball saw inside centre Mitch Cunniffe power over the try line. Carter added the extras.

The home side continued to be guilty of wasting opportunities and it was another ten minutes before the fourth try was added. This time, outside centre Aaron Pengelly smashed through from close range to put the game well out of range. Carter added a third simple conversion.

Bodmin, in a short space of time, were then reduced to 13 men. Mayes was sent to the sin bin for failing to let a quick Camelford tap penalty go the ten yards. Then replacement back row Seb Williams joined him for a petulant kick out at an infringing Camelford player.


Bodmin continued to control the game but simple mistakes still blighted their game. With Mayes returning to the fold Bodmin added their final score as Pengelly crossed for his second try. Carter added his fourth conversion.

Camelford continued to exert maximum effort and were finally rewarded with a charge-down try at the last play of the game.

Good pressure on the clearing kick saw a successful charge down before the ball was collected by the Camelford No8 and dotted down. The conversion was missed.

This Saturday Bodmin travel to Lankelly-Fowey for their final Group D game (2.30pm).

Bodmin: A Trevarthen, B Mayes, TJ Hicks, M Read, L Thomas, J Mayes, D Jenkinson, D Cullip, M Hawken, P Carter, T Shaw, M Cunniffe, A Pengelly, M Jope, S Helgesen (c). Replacements: G Taylor, S Williams, D Nottle.

Liskeard-Looe 69, Lankelly Fowey 3

THE Lions ran in 11 tries on the way to their latest victory in the Clubs' Cup at Lux Park.

The day started with the appointed referee withdrawing through illness. With the club unable to contact the CRFU appointments secretary, a decision was made to contact Plymouth Combination who managed to assist, at short notice, to supply an official so the game could go ahead.

The Lions started poorly against a Lankelly outfit that was clearly up for it and within minutes found themselves three points down, courtesy of a Gerry Gardner 35 metre penalty.

At the restart, Liskeard turned the ball over and broke down the blind side, with superb running by lock Mark Davy, to offload the ball and Andy Sheer dotted down for an unconverted try.

On 25 minutes a crossfield kick by James Noel-Johnson was taken into touch by a defender, on the Lankelly 22, quick thinking by Kieran Underhill with a quick throw that found Yestin Hutchings in space and he strolled in for a try that was converted by Noel-Johnson. From the restart Liskeard attacked again with the ball going to wing Ben Kitto to score a try. This was also converted by Noel-Johnson.

This was followed by another try after Noel-Johnson sold a dummy and made a break to send centre Pete Regan in from 35 metres.

Almost on half-time a break by Gareth Cooke, from the back of a scrum, took the ball 40 metres to deep in the visitors' 22 and from there wing Kieran Murchison drove over in the corner for a try, to make the score 29-3.

At the start of the second half, a great break by Murchison set up a ruck just outside the visitors' 22. The ball was popped to Davy to drive on and the move was finished off with a Cooke try and a Noel-Johnson conversion. In the 50th minute the Lions' pack took ball against the head, at a scrum, to quickly feed the backs where Sheer off loaded to Cooke to score his second try; Noel-Johnson added the extras.

In the 60th minute at a scrum five metres from the Lankelly line, the Lions secured their own ball, where they went blindside to send Kitto in for his second try. Noel-Johnson again added the extras.

With the Liskeard pack now dominating proceedings, a 25 metre driving maul, in the 65th minute, was finished off with Lewis Elliott scoring a try and another Noel-Johnson conversion.

Five minutes later the Lions pushed the Lankelly pack off their own ball, at a scrum five metres from the visitors' try line.

Cooke picked up at the base to set up a ruck and the ball was popped to Davy who crashed over for an unconverted try.

Almost on full time, from a forward drive deep in the Lankelly 22, veteran prop Phil Mutton touched down for a try which was converted by Noel-Johnson.

Liskeard-Looe: M Mander, M Porter, T McLuckie, M Davy, T Blake, J Townsend, Y Hutchings, L Elliott, A Sheer, J Noel-Johnson, K Murchison, P Regan, D Hannah, B Kitto, K Underhill. Replacements: G Cooke, S Grant, J Gavin, P Mutton.

Scorers: Tries: Kitto (2), Cooke (2), Davy, Hutchings, Elliott, Sheer, Murchison, Regan, Mutton; Cons: Noel-Johnson (7).

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters