Login Register

Bid to reopen bar closed by police is rejected

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: June 22, 2012

Comments (0)

AN APPLICATION to reopen a Newquay bar that last year became the first in Cornwall to undergo an on-the-spot police closure has been refused.

A Cornwall Council licensing committee decided on Monday that applicant Laura Bater was too closely linked to the former management of The Shack.

She was an employee of the Bank Street nightspot at the time of the forced closure on November 27, 2011.

Inspector Dave Meredith used Section 161 of the Licensing Act for the first time in the county after visiting the premises to find it being run by two 18-year-olds.

Their superiors, including Ms Bater, could not be contacted, CCTV cameras were not working and the doorman was not wearing a Security Industry Authority (SIA) badge.

He later fled the scene as it is believed he was not SIA registered.

Susanne Edwards, Devon and Cornwall Police's licensing officer, spoke of police concerns at a meeting of the Licensing Act sub-committee this week.

She said that, through Ms Bater, a clear link had been established between the previous operation of the bar and the new proposals.

"It was our belief that if the premises was allowed to reopen, it would further impact on crime and disorder in Newquay," said Ms Edwards.

The applicant has the right to appeal against the decision.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES