Login Register
 °

BT attacked as homes left without phone lines

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 12, 2014

By Oscar Morse

  • CUT OFF: Lindy Creighton-Clarke waited almost three weeks to have her phone line reconnected,

  • Frustrated St Tudy residents with Cornwall councillor Jeremy Rowe (centre).

Comments (0)

ANGRY residents in St Tudy have slammed BT after many homes were left without a phone line for three weeks.

Telephone and internet connection problems have hit well over 100 households, the village shop and the local primary school, where lessons have been disrupted.

Yesterday morning phone calls to the school were still being diverted to the secretary's personal mobile.

The situation came to a head last week when North Cornwall MP, Dan Rogerson, contacted BT bosses demanding urgent action.

One resident told Mr Rogerson that the situation was "totally unacceptable and is now beyond ridiculous''.

BT have apologised to villagers for what it says has been difficult repair work, and said last Friday it hoped to have everyone re-connected by the weekend, but there were still people without a phone connection yesterday.

St Tudy Primary School head teacher Karen Holmes said the situation was drastic.

"We have been extremely lucky there hasn't been an emergency at the school with a pupil or one of their parents, because the mobile signal is very poor at the best of times.

"BT keep promising dates when the line will be connected, but we are still waiting after three weeks,'' said Mrs Holmes.

Cornwall councillor for the area, Jeremy Rowe, met many affected residents in St Tudy on Friday morning.

He said: "While it seems some repairs are going ahead, others are not. Some of the repairs that have been carried out seem botched with residents discovering that their incoming calls have been diverted to households outside St Tudy.

"Others have had their phone services restored only to discover that they no longer have internet access. Many residents are also especially frustrated at the lack of communication from BT. In short, the whole thing's a mess."

Mr Rogerson said: "It is clear that the investigations and repairs are not being undertaken in a satisfactory manner. There have been health-related emergencies which make it all the more urgent that this is resolved. I will be going back to BT and will be speaking to senior management to ensure that the problems in St Tudy are being dealt with as a matter of absolute priority."

St Tudy resident Lindy Creighton-Clarke was reconnected last Friday, three days after BT assured her the line would be fixed.

"I'm one of the lucky ones, because a lot of people are still without a phone line or internet connection,'' she said yesterday. "I know of phone calls which are meant for some neighbours going through to other people's phones, it's been a bit of a nightmare."

BT spokesperson Jason Mann apologised to residents and said there were still 92 faults outstanding by last Friday.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES