Login Register

Attack on girl by Wadebridge man John Wilson caught on mobile phone video

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 27, 2014

MOBILE phone footage of the moments before a 49-year-old Wadebridge delivery driver attacked a teenage girl was played to Bodmin magistrates at his trial for assault.

John Wilson could be heard telling Robin Hall: "The things I want to do to you, you wouldn't believe.

"You don't know how much I want to hurt you. You're in a hard place."

The footage, recorded by Ms Hall, then showed her legs as she fell to the ground, with Wilson leaning or kneeling over her and continuing to shout. Ms Hall could be heard to say: "Get off."

The court was told that after they had got up, Wilson punched Ms Hall.

Wilson, of Marshall Avenue, denied assaulting her by beating but was found guilty.

Sally Daulton, for the prosecution, said there was a history to the case which was disputed by both sides: Ms Hall said she and Wilson had an affair which ended when his wife, Tracey, 50, found out, while Wilson admitted knowing Ms Hall but denied they had been in a relationship and claimed she had harassed him.

On August 20 the Wilsons approached Ms Hall in the car park of Wadebridge's Co-op. Wilson told police Ms Hall had raised her middle finger to him and attacked him and his wife. He denied pushing her, saying she had tripped over a kerb and he then fell on top of her.

The magistrates said they believed the account of an independent witness, Co-op employee Michael Boucher, who did not know any of those involved. He described seeing Mrs Wilson grab Ms Hall's ponytail and pull her back and Wilson pushing her against a wire fence.

"The male then punched the younger female in the face with his right hand," Mr Boucher stated.

"The younger female threw a punch but it didn't land and a second punch was thrown by the male." This made contact, he said, and was a "full-blown punch".

He had not seen Ms Hall do anything to provoke the situation, and after taking the Wilsons' car registration number he dialled 999.

Wilson told the court he had been married for 28 years and had been friends with Ms Hall with whom he had worked at Tesco, having coffee together, going for drives and visiting a pub for a beer.

He told the court: "She wanted a relationship with me which I wasn't prepared to give." On August 20 he had approached her and "tried to be polite" but accepted that he had then sworn and asked Ms Hall why she didn't leave them alone. He denied the assault, saying that after they fell over Ms Hall had hit him twice.

Chris Nicholls, for the defence, said Wilson was likely to lose his job as a result of his conviction. There was a significant background to the case but the circumstances were now at an end and unlikely to be repeated.

The magistrates conditionally discharged Wilson for nine months and told him to pay £200 costs and a £15 victim surcharge. They said compensation was inappropriate after hearing at the conclusion of the case that Ms Hall was now living in Australia.

The court heard Mrs Wilson had been cautioned for her part in the incident.

Read more from Cornish Guardian